Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels
Chris
2024-04-12 06:57:11 UTC
When travelling it'd be nice to be able to watch my netflix or player on
the hotel's/accommodation's TV. What do people recommend? I usually carry
an ipad/iphone with me and I travel mainly in the UK and europe.

A bit of searching suggests there's only three or four options options:
chromecast, fire stick, roku, Apple TV. With Apple TV the only one
recommended for iOS. Is that really the best option? Sounds like a major
faff. I travel light so a single would be ideal.

What are people's real world experiences, please?
Tweed
2024-04-12 07:54:51 UTC
Post by Chris
When travelling it'd be nice to be able to watch my netflix or player on
the hotel's/accommodation's TV. What do people recommend? I usually carry
an ipad/iphone with me and I travel mainly in the UK and europe.
chromecast, fire stick, roku, Apple TV. With Apple TV the only one
recommended for iOS. Is that really the best option? Sounds like a major
faff. I travel light so a single would be ideal.
What are people's real world experiences, please?
iPads cast to Chromecast devices without difficulty. The problem with all
these devices that depend on casting is they need to be on the same subnet
as the iPad. Often hotel systems require logins from the device and
frequently firewall devices from each other. The other difficulty is you
need access to an HDMI port on the hotel TV and the ability to switch
signal source. This may not always be possible.

A Firestick and an Apple TV can operate independently, but you’ve still got
the issues of logging it in to the hotel network. I find many of these
hotel captive portals to be barely functional at the best of times.

Perhaps an hdmi adapter dongle for the iPad and a physical hdmi cable is
the most likely thing to work?
Davey
2024-04-12 08:58:18 UTC
On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 07:54:51 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Tweed
iPads cast to Chromecast devices without difficulty. The problem with
all these devices that depend on casting is they need to be on the
same subnet as the iPad. Often hotel systems require logins from the
device and frequently firewall devices from each other. The other
difficulty is you need access to an HDMI port on the hotel TV and the
ability to switch signal source. This may not always be possible.
Maybe buy a One-for-All remote control, make sure you have the coding
instructions with you, and see if you can control the hotel's TV set.
Maybe, maybe not. Most ones that I have experienced have very limited
functionality with the provided remote controls. Some have a
limited 'Guest' mode that can only be unlocked with the correct
service remote control device.

But anything is worth a try!

Gone are the days of simply plugging your X-Box into the back of the
set. I once unplugged the cable, for some reason unrelated, and the
'phone rang, with the front desk staff asking me why the TV was
unplugged, they thought I was stealing it. This was back in 1991, in
Kansas City.
Davey.
Chris
2024-04-12 09:58:04 UTC
Post by Tweed
Post by Chris
When travelling it'd be nice to be able to watch my netflix or player on
the hotel's/accommodation's TV. What do people recommend? I usually carry
an ipad/iphone with me and I travel mainly in the UK and europe.
chromecast, fire stick, roku, Apple TV. With Apple TV the only one
recommended for iOS. Is that really the best option? Sounds like a major
faff. I travel light so a single would be ideal.
What are people's real world experiences, please?
iPads cast to Chromecast devices without difficulty.
Thanks for the confirmation.
Post by Tweed
The problem with all
these devices that depend on casting is they need to be on the same subnet
as the iPad. Often hotel systems require logins from the device and
frequently firewall devices from each other. The other difficulty is you
need access to an HDMI port on the hotel TV and the ability to switch
signal source. This may not always be possible.
Yeah hotel provision of wifi and TVs is a real hotch-potch but am happy if
it works only some of the time.
I'd rather avoid packing yet another cable, but will consider it.
JMB99
2024-04-12 10:42:40 UTC
Post by Chris
I'd rather avoid packing yet another cable, but will consider it.
You sound like one of the backpackers who go to great lengths to save a
couple of ounces in their rucksack!
Alan Browne
2024-04-12 21:28:55 UTC
Post by JMB99
Post by Chris
I'd rather avoid packing yet another cable, but will consider it.
You sound like one of the backpackers who go to great lengths to save a
couple of ounces in their rucksack!
Serious hikers certainly do.
--
“Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first;
nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.”
- Charles de Gaulle.
Hank Rogers
How much does an iphone weigh?
Alan Browne
2024-04-12 22:09:56 UTC
Post by Hank Rogers
Post by Alan Browne
Post by JMB99
Post by Chris
I'd rather avoid packing yet another cable, but will consider it.
You sound like one of the backpackers who go to great lengths to save
a couple of ounces in their rucksack!
Serious hikers certainly do.
How much does an iphone weigh?
Left back in the car a serious hiker doesn't care. But, if brought along:

About 175g - 200g or so. Given the functionality, that's quite light.
Of course re-charging will be an issue - so add a small solar panel to
your burden if out for more than 2 days.
- Charles de Gaulle.
Ant
2024-04-14 00:37:51 UTC
In misc.phone.mobile.iphone Alan Browne <***@blackhole.com> wrote:
Post by Alan Browne
About 175g - 200g or so. Given the functionality, that's quite light.
Of course re-charging will be an issue - so add a small solar panel to
your burden if out for more than 2 days.
Can those portable solar panels recharge iPhones fast though? I read that they don't.
--
"I can do everything through him [Christ] who gives me strength." --Philippians 4:13. I'm still weak! :(
| |o o| |
( )
Alan Browne
2024-04-14 13:53:02 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by Alan Browne
About 175g - 200g or so. Given the functionality, that's quite light.
Of course re-charging will be an issue - so add a small solar panel to
your burden if out for more than 2 days.
Can those portable solar panels recharge iPhones fast though? I read that they don't.
I read that when hiking I won't find hot and cold running water and nice
clean porcelain toilets along the trail either.

When hiking one would not normally deplete the iPhone battery on a daily
basis. Or even close. If one is doing so, maybe they should re-think
their hiking goals.

Hiking panels (20 - 30W) run 600 - 700g. It's in that zone of "I'll
bring it if I _have_ to, not want to." Depending on rest time, you'd
probably be able to keep the battery up.

There are higher power portable panels - of course (shocking revelation
ahead) they are heavier and bulkier.

All that said, I've never brought a solar panel hiking - this summer
camping trip (drive in) I may acquire 100 or 200W of solar capacity - TBD.
- Charles de Gaulle.
Spike
2024-04-14 21:28:53 UTC
Post by Alan Browne
Post by Ant
Post by Alan Browne
[...]
Soldiers backpacks on D-Day could weigh 70 to 100lbs…and that was before
they were soaked in sea-water.

Some paratroops equipment weighed 150lbs, if they were also carrying
base-plates, tubes, or ammunition for mortars, and they had to be shoved up
the ladder into their C-47s.
Spike
Alan Browne
2024-04-14 21:44:19 UTC
Post by Spike
Post by Alan Browne
Post by Ant
Post by Alan Browne
[...]
Not sure how hiker=invasion soldier, but whatever ...
- Charles de Gaulle.
Dave Royal
2024-04-13 06:17:38 UTC
Post by Tweed
Post by Chris
[...]
Yes, go for an hdmi cable. I've been in several hotels recently
that had an hdmi socket in the wall next to the desk so that you
could use the TV as a monitor.

Big hotel chains often have custom TVs with only one cable into
them and no other inputs. Small hotels are more likely to have a
consumer TV, often small and old. One hotel I was in this year
had no hdmi but a SCART socket. (20 years ago I carried a 3.5mm
to SCART connector to play music through the hotel
TV.)
Remove numerics from my email address.
Alan Browne
2024-04-12 21:27:35 UTC
Post by Chris
When travelling it'd be nice to be able to watch my netflix or player on
the hotel's/accommodation's TV. What do people recommend? I usually carry
an ipad/iphone with me and I travel mainly in the UK and europe.
chromecast, fire stick, roku, Apple TV. With Apple TV the only one
recommended for iOS. Is that really the best option? Sounds like a major
faff. I travel light so a single would be ideal.
What are people's real world experiences, please?
If it isn't free on the hotel TV I don't watch it.

If I were on a long trip with several days at a time in one hotel, I
might carry along an Apple TV and movies on my iPhone or laptop. But
haven't to date. There's usually something better to do. (Read).

If you're out of country, then Netflix might be an issue:

- access on your account in a different country (VPN can fix this unless
Netflix objects to that specific VPN provider).

- they might think you were password sharing and bill you.
- Charles de Gaulle.
grinch
2024-04-13 15:51:02 UTC
Post by Alan Browne
- access on your account in a different country (VPN can fix this unless
Netflix objects to that specific VPN provider).
- they might think you were password sharing and bill you.
Last year I used my UK Netflix account in France on a French IP with no
issues.

It says in the Netflix T and C's you can do this, but for no more than
30 consecutive days and assuming most of you use is in your country of
origin.

Trying to connect to www.google.co.uk from a French IP is entertaining
but it works.
Andy Burns
2024-04-13 17:00:35 UTC
Using <https://google.co.uk/ncr>
should help, ncr = no country redirect.
Alan Browne
2024-04-14 13:33:10 UTC
Post by grinch
Post by Alan Browne
- access on your account in a different country (VPN can fix this
unless Netflix objects to that specific VPN provider).
- they might think you were password sharing and bill you.
Last year I used my UK Netflix account in France on a French IP with no
issues.
It says in the Netflix T and C's you can do this, but for no more than
30 consecutive days and assuming most of you use is in your country of
origin.
Trying to connect to www.google.co.uk from a French IP is entertaining
but it works.
Ah - good. I'll keep that in mind.
- Charles de Gaulle.
Chris
2024-04-13 17:59:46 UTC
Post by Alan Browne
Post by Chris
When travelling it'd be nice to be able to watch my netflix or player on
the hotel's/accommodation's TV. What do people recommend? I usually carry
an ipad/iphone with me and I travel mainly in the UK and europe.
chromecast, fire stick, roku, Apple TV. With Apple TV the only one
recommended for iOS. Is that really the best option? Sounds like a major
faff. I travel light so a single would be ideal.
What are people's real world experiences, please?
If it isn't free on the hotel TV I don't watch it.
If I were on a long trip with several days at a time in one hotel, I
might carry along an Apple TV and movies on my iPhone or laptop. But
haven't to date. There's usually something better to do. (Read).
That's also an option :)
Post by Alan Browne
- access on your account in a different country (VPN can fix this unless
Netflix objects to that specific VPN provider).
- they might think you were password sharing and bill you.
Not that had that issue here in multiple countries. The only thing I had a
couple of years ago was a show not being available in a particular country
due to licensing restrictions. A VPN fixed that.
Hank Rogers
2024-04-13 22:24:40 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by Alan Browne
- access on your account in a different country (VPN can fix this unless
Netflix objects to that specific VPN provider).
- they might think you were password sharing and bill you.
Not that had that issue here in multiple countries. The only thing I had a
couple of years ago was a show not being available in a particular country
due to licensing restrictions. A VPN fixed that.
You can easily avoid all these problems. Just never book a room at any
hotel that does not provide apple TVs. It isn't worth it.