Some updated iOS apps aren't updating in iOS v12.5.4 iDevices...
Ant
2021-08-16 19:17:29 UTC
Hello.

Is anyone else having problems updating some iOS apps (e.g., IMDb and
AccuWeather) since this weekend? Seen in both old iPad air and iPhone 6
+ with iOS v12.5.4. Two different Apple ID accounts too. Reboot didn't
help. :(

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
--
Dang life, bugs (both digital and biological), issues, etc. 2021 is repeating 2020. :( Please get your vaccine shot(s) if you haven't done so! :)
| |o o| |
( )
nospam
2021-08-16 19:20:40 UTC
Post by Ant
Hello.
Is anyone else having problems updating some iOS apps (e.g., IMDb and
AccuWeather) since this weekend? Seen in both old iPad air and iPhone 6
+ with iOS v12.5.4. Two different Apple ID accounts too. Reboot didn't
help. :(
probably just an app store glitch. it happens. if it doesn't resolve
itself in a day or two, then further digging is needed.
Ant
2021-08-16 20:29:16 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Ant
Hello.
Is anyone else having problems updating some iOS apps (e.g., IMDb and
AccuWeather) since this weekend? Seen in both old iPad air and iPhone 6
+ with iOS v12.5.4. Two different Apple ID accounts too. Reboot didn't
help. :(
probably just an app store glitch. it happens. if it doesn't resolve
itself in a day or two, then further digging is needed.
OK. Well, it's day #3 so far. Lots of updated apps today. These aren't
updating: AccuWeather, eBay, Brave, WebSSH, IMDb, WebSSH, Yelp, and
maybe more soon. Even more interesting is with Yelp that is dated
1/11/2021 and yet its version history shows it was last updated
yesterday. :I Anyone else seeing it or just my side?

Thanks God I have a iPhone 12 mini to be able to keep updating and using
newer apps. :)
( )
nospam
2021-08-16 20:42:29 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by nospam
Post by Ant
Is anyone else having problems updating some iOS apps (e.g., IMDb and
AccuWeather) since this weekend? Seen in both old iPad air and iPhone 6
+ with iOS v12.5.4. Two different Apple ID accounts too. Reboot didn't
help. :(
probably just an app store glitch. it happens. if it doesn't resolve
itself in a day or two, then further digging is needed.
OK. Well, it's day #3 so far. Lots of updated apps today. These aren't
updating: AccuWeather, eBay, Brave, WebSSH, IMDb, WebSSH, Yelp, and
maybe more soon. Even more interesting is with Yelp that is dated
1/11/2021 and yet its version history shows it was last updated
yesterday. :I Anyone else seeing it or just my side?
your first problem is you have two copies of webssh :)

give it another day or two. the app store can be flaky.
Ant
2021-08-16 21:59:48 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Ant
Post by nospam
Post by Ant
Is anyone else having problems updating some iOS apps (e.g., IMDb and
AccuWeather) since this weekend? Seen in both old iPad air and iPhone 6
+ with iOS v12.5.4. Two different Apple ID accounts too. Reboot didn't
help. :(
probably just an app store glitch. it happens. if it doesn't resolve
itself in a day or two, then further digging is needed.
OK. Well, it's day #3 so far. Lots of updated apps today. These aren't
updating: AccuWeather, eBay, Brave, WebSSH, IMDb, WebSSH, Yelp, and
maybe more soon. Even more interesting is with Yelp that is dated
1/11/2021 and yet its version history shows it was last updated
yesterday. :I Anyone else seeing it or just my side?
your first problem is you have two copies of webssh :)
Oops. Haha.
Post by nospam
give it another day or two. the app store can be flaky.
We'll see...
( )
sms
2021-08-16 21:25:29 UTC
On 8/16/2021 1:29 PM, Ant wrote:

<snip>
Post by Ant
OK. Well, it's day #3 so far. Lots of updated apps today. These aren't
updating: AccuWeather, eBay, Brave, WebSSH, IMDb, WebSSH, Yelp, and
maybe more soon. Even more interesting is with Yelp that is dated
1/11/2021 and yet its version history shows it was last updated
yesterday. :I Anyone else seeing it or just my side?
You're likely running into apps that can't run on such an old version.

If you look at the Brave support side, 1.24 is the last version that
supports iOS 12, so if you're trying to update to 1.3 it may not work.
Probably similar issues with some of those other apps. But you'd think
that they wouldn't even try to update if they see that the iOS version
doesn't support the update.
If only you could use it for voice, SMS, and data!
nospam
2021-08-16 21:52:44 UTC
Post by sms
Post by Ant
OK. Well, it's day #3 so far. Lots of updated apps today. These aren't
updating: AccuWeather, eBay, Brave, WebSSH, IMDb, WebSSH, Yelp, and
maybe more soon. Even more interesting is with Yelp that is dated
1/11/2021 and yet its version history shows it was last updated
yesterday. :I Anyone else seeing it or just my side?
You're likely running into apps that can't run on such an old version.
nope. that's not why.
Post by sms
If you look at the Brave support side, 1.24 is the last version that
supports iOS 12, so if you're trying to update to 1.3 it may not work.
nope. that's not what it says at all.

what it says about 1.24 is this:
1.24 (21.4.1.15) kjozwiak released this Apr 13, 2021

We have also fixed some bugs and generally made the app
faster and better. Please note however that this release now
supports iOS12.4 and above.
Post by sms
Probably similar issues with some of those other apps.
probably not.
Post by sms
But you'd think
that they wouldn't even try to update if they see that the iOS version
doesn't support the update.
which is what normally happens.

sometimes it doesn't, and an alert such as the following appears:

he did not describe that situation, so that's not the problem.
he could if he wasn't on verizon.
Ant
2021-08-16 22:52:29 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by sms
But you'd think
that they wouldn't even try to update if they see that the iOS version
doesn't support the update.
which is what normally happens.
<https://photos5.appleinsider.com/gallery/24737-32664-ipadtip-top-xl.jpg>
Or worse, not available anymore since it was removed from the store. :(
Post by sms
Post by Ant
Thanks God I have a iPhone 12 mini to be able to keep updating and using
newer apps. :)
If only you could use it for voice, SMS, and data!
he could if he wasn't on verizon.
Yep, but they do work if I get service and good connections like down the
hills and away from the rural areas into the busy cities.
( )
nospam
2021-08-16 22:57:32 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by nospam
Post by sms
But you'd think
that they wouldn't even try to update if they see that the iOS version
doesn't support the update.
which is what normally happens.
<https://photos5.appleinsider.com/gallery/24737-32664-ipadtip-top-xl.jpg>
Or worse, not available anymore since it was removed from the store. :(
that's entirely up to the app developer, not apple.

many app developers keep older versions available, but not all.

if they don't, it's usually it's for a good reason, such as they made
changes on their servers and the older version is no longer compatible
and simply will not work, at all.
Post by Ant
Post by nospam
Post by sms
Post by Ant
Thanks God I have a iPhone 12 mini to be able to keep updating and using
newer apps. :)
If only you could use it for voice, SMS, and data!
he could if he wasn't on verizon.
Yep, but they do work if I get service and good connections like down the
hills and away from the rural areas into the busy cities.
go to an apple store and have them check the phone. it's possible you
have a defective unit, or something is configured wrong.
Lewis
2021-08-16 23:41:55 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Ant
Or worse, not available anymore since it was removed from the store. :(
that's entirely up to the app developer, not apple.
many app developers keep older versions available, but not all.
Many have abandoned iOS 12 as the number of changes in 13 and 14 have
made it much more difficult to keep two versions without, essentially,
having two entirely separate apps.
Post by nospam
go to an apple store and have them check the phone. it's possible you
have a defective unit, or something is configured wrong.
Seems pretty obvious he's not going to do this.
--
Some books are undeservedly forgotten; none are undeservedly
remembered
nospam
2021-08-16 23:51:19 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by nospam
Post by Ant
Or worse, not available anymore since it was removed from the store. :(
that's entirely up to the app developer, not apple.
many app developers keep older versions available, but not all.
Many have abandoned iOS 12 as the number of changes in 13 and 14 have
made it much more difficult to keep two versions without, essentially,
having two entirely separate apps.
true, but sometimes the old version is still available.

brave *does* keep older versions.
yep.
Ant
2021-09-06 23:53:57 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Ant
Hello.
Is anyone else having problems updating some iOS apps (e.g., IMDb and
AccuWeather) since this weekend? Seen in both old iPad air and iPhone 6
+ with iOS v12.5.4. Two different Apple ID accounts too. Reboot didn't
help. :(
probably just an app store glitch. it happens. if it doesn't resolve
itself in a day or two, then further digging is needed.
It still happens today. :(
--
2 many labo(u)rs, hotness, illnesses, issues, videos, spammers, & free huge sized game trials (didn't hit 1 TB total 4 Aug.)!
| |o o| |
( )
sms
2021-09-07 00:03:13 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by nospam
Post by Ant
Hello.
Is anyone else having problems updating some iOS apps (e.g., IMDb and
AccuWeather) since this weekend? Seen in both old iPad air and iPhone 6
+ with iOS v12.5.4. Two different Apple ID accounts too. Reboot didn't
help. :(
probably just an app store glitch. it happens. if it doesn't resolve
itself in a day or two, then further digging is needed.
It still happens today. :(
The problem is that often an app will claim that it's compatible with
older versions of iOS when in reality it is not. I doubt if any Apple
App Store employee actually checks every App on the App store to ensure
that it works on all the iOS versions that it claims to work on.

I think that it's time to recycle that iPhone 6 Plus. You've gotten the
expected use out of it. Move on.
nospam
2021-09-07 00:19:17 UTC
Post by sms
Post by Ant
Post by nospam
Post by Ant
Is anyone else having problems updating some iOS apps (e.g., IMDb and
AccuWeather) since this weekend? Seen in both old iPad air and iPhone 6
+ with iOS v12.5.4. Two different Apple ID accounts too. Reboot didn't
help. :(
probably just an app store glitch. it happens. if it doesn't resolve
itself in a day or two, then further digging is needed.
It still happens today. :(
The problem is that often an app will claim that it's compatible with
older versions of iOS when in reality it is not.
no, that is not the problem he is describing.

stop pretending to know about app development.
Post by sms
I doubt if any Apple
App Store employee actually checks every App on the App store to ensure
that it works on all the iOS versions that it claims to work on.
most of the validation is automated. employees verify functionality.

again, stop pretending to know about app development.
Post by sms
I think that it's time to recycle that iPhone 6 Plus. You've gotten the
expected use out of it. Move on.
but, but, it has an analog headphone jack. what happened to that
mindless rant?
Lewis
2021-09-07 15:35:09 UTC
Post by sms
Post by Ant
Post by nospam
Post by Ant
Hello.
Is anyone else having problems updating some iOS apps (e.g., IMDb and
AccuWeather) since this weekend? Seen in both old iPad air and iPhone 6
+ with iOS v12.5.4. Two different Apple ID accounts too. Reboot didn't
help. :(
probably just an app store glitch. it happens. if it doesn't resolve
itself in a day or two, then further digging is needed.
It still happens today. :(
The problem is that often an app will claim that it's compatible with
older versions of iOS when in reality it is not.
This is, of course, utter bullshit.

Version compatibility is set by the Xcode compilation process and
involves a checkbox. Xcode will not compile an app that has the "iOS 12"
checkbox if it will not run on iOS 12.

As is always the case, you have no idea what you are talking about and
are spewing ignorant nonsense.
--
When the routine bites hard / and ambitions are low And the
resentment rides high / but emotions won't grow And we're
tear us apart again
nospam
2021-09-07 00:19:19 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by nospam
Post by Ant
Is anyone else having problems updating some iOS apps (e.g., IMDb and
AccuWeather) since this weekend? Seen in both old iPad air and iPhone 6
+ with iOS v12.5.4. Two different Apple ID accounts too. Reboot didn't
help. :(
probably just an app store glitch. it happens. if it doesn't resolve
itself in a day or two, then further digging is needed.
It still happens today. :(
that's odd. usually it resolves fairly quickly.

i saw a few apps with issues but they've long since updated.

which apps are they? what versions?
Ant
2021-09-07 00:41:56 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Ant
Post by nospam
Post by Ant
Is anyone else having problems updating some iOS apps (e.g., IMDb and
AccuWeather) since this weekend? Seen in both old iPad air and iPhone 6
+ with iOS v12.5.4. Two different Apple ID accounts too. Reboot didn't
help. :(
probably just an app store glitch. it happens. if it doesn't resolve
itself in a day or two, then further digging is needed.
It still happens today. :(
that's odd. usually it resolves fairly quickly.
i saw a few apps with issues but they've long since updated.
which apps are they? what versions?
Same ones as mentioned in my original post with new ones:
Shazam
Imgur
Infuse 7
LinkedIn
Redbox
Terminus
Twitter
eBay
Brave

Currently 12 apps with updates. Recent YouTube, Signal, etc. updated fine.
( )
nospam
2021-09-07 00:56:15 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by nospam
which apps are they? what versions?
Shazam
Imgur
Infuse 7
LinkedIn
Redbox
Terminus
Twitter
eBay
Brave
Currently 12 apps with updates. Recent YouTube, Signal, etc. updated fine.
compare the versions you have with the latest versions of the apps.

i did have an issue with ebay, but it resolved itself a week or so ago
(don't remember when), and again earlier today.
b***@ripco.com
2021-09-07 15:35:45 UTC
Post by Ant
It still happens today. :(
It's not just you, likely another Apple fuck-up that only "a small,
insignificant, miniscule, barely noticable number of IOS users are
experiencing".

The phone (on ios 13) is fine, the ipad running 12.x is not. Both of them
have had auto-update on the apps since the beginning (at least since they
removed the ability to store apps in iTunes) and have been working fine.

When you brought this matter up, my app store was blank until I opened it
and showed 4 updates (red circle with the number in it). None of those
apps work anymore under ios12 but if you hit "Update All", it would get
stuck in a loop with the dialog box saying the same thing, but stuck in a
loop. You figure 4 apps, hit the cancel box 4 times and it should be done,
but no, even after 30-40 attempts, it just kept coming up.

Later on there were more apps that needed updates but what was odd was if
you hit those manually, one at a time, those did update to newer versions.

So:

1) the auto-update doesn't work anymore
2) the "Update All" is now broken.

As for today, it says 11 apps need updating and I'll do this live:

AAA Mobile (new version available since 9/2) manual update worked fine.
Bittrex (new version available since 9/2) manual update worked fine.
Amazon Alexa (new version available since 8/31) manual update worked fine.
Robinhood (new version available since 8/31) manual update worked fine.
ComEd (new version available since 8/27) manual update worked fine.
Realtor.com (new version available since 8/26) manual update worked fine.
Google Voice (new version available since 8/23) manual update worked fine.
Termius (new version available since 8/17) Requires ios13
IMDb (new version available since 8/14) Requires ios13
Trulia (new version available since 8/12) Requires ios13
Yelp (new version available since 1/11) Requires ios13

So except for the 4 apps which show "pending" because it's not on ios13
(shouldn't it know that?), the others updated manually just fine.

-bruce
***@ripco.com
sms
2021-09-07 16:05:43 UTC
Post by b***@ripco.com
Post by Ant
It still happens today. :(
It's not just you, likely another Apple fuck-up that only "a small,
insignificant, miniscule, barely noticable number of IOS users are
experiencing".
LOL, every time you see that kind of language you can be sure that a
huge, absolute, number of users are experiencing the problem, even if
the percentage of users experiencing it is very low.

Of course many companies use the same sort of language. Only 0.006
percent of Chevy Bolt owners have had their cars catch fire when parked,
yet Chevy is replacing the batteries in all of the cars that have the
battery packs that could contain defective cells.
Lewis
2021-09-07 23:52:20 UTC
Post by sms
Post by b***@ripco.com
Post by Ant
It still happens today. :(
It's not just you, likely another Apple fuck-up that only "a small,
insignificant, miniscule, barely noticable number of IOS users are
experiencing".
LOL, every time you see that kind of language you can be sure that a
huge, absolute, number of users are experiencing the problem, even if
the percentage of users experiencing it is very low.
It's funny how math works. When there are over a billion users, 0.1% is
a large number. Statistically 0, but still a large number. And yep
people whine about problems that have "hundreds" of post complaining
about it, or less than 0.0001%.
Post by sms
Of course many companies use the same sort of language. Only 0.006
percent of Chevy Bolt owners have had their cars catch fire when parked,
yet Chevy is replacing the batteries in all of the cars that have the
battery packs that could contain defective cells.
What percentage of iPhones are catching fire, you FUD monster?
Ghosts prefer empty bottles that we've all drunk.
nospam
2021-09-07 16:59:10 UTC
Post by b***@ripco.com
Post by Ant
It still happens today. :(
It's not just you, likely another Apple fuck-up that only "a small,
insignificant, miniscule, barely noticable number of IOS users are
experiencing".
nobody said anything about the number of people it affects.

there are ~1.5 billion ios devices with ~2 million apps. sometimes the
servers get out of sync.
Lewis
2021-08-16 22:46:25 UTC
Post by Ant
Is anyone else having problems updating some iOS apps (e.g., IMDb and
AccuWeather) since this weekend? Seen in both old iPad air and iPhone
6+ with iOS v12.5.4. Two different Apple ID accounts too. Reboot
didn't help. :(
What happens when you try to update?
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"I think so, Brain. But does 'Chunk o' Cheesy's' deliver packing
material?"
Ant
2021-08-17 00:36:34 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Ant
Is anyone else having problems updating some iOS apps (e.g., IMDb and
AccuWeather) since this weekend? Seen in both old iPad air and iPhone
6+ with iOS v12.5.4. Two different Apple ID accounts too. Reboot
didn't help. :(
What happens when you try to update?
It downloads, installs, and then still shows there's an update. On home
screen, it shows that dot saying the app was updated.
( )
nospam
2021-08-17 00:40:48 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by Lewis
Post by Ant
Is anyone else having problems updating some iOS apps (e.g., IMDb and
AccuWeather) since this weekend? Seen in both old iPad air and iPhone
6+ with iOS v12.5.4. Two different Apple ID accounts too. Reboot
didn't help. :(
What happens when you try to update?
It downloads, installs, and then still shows there's an update. On home
screen, it shows that dot saying the app was updated.
that's an app store glitch which has been there forever. it will
ultimately resolve itself.
Ant
2021-08-18 08:25:10 UTC
Now, 11 apps. Some problematic apps (Twitter and WebSSH) updates now ask
me to download their older versions because they want newer iOS versions
(e.g., v14.1 and v13.4). So, I do that and then it repeats. Others are
downloading and then repeating offered updated apps. :(
( )
nospam

stop worrying about it. it will eventually resolve itself.
Ant
2021-08-18 21:06:00 UTC
It better be soon. Others are noticing them too like in https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/p6qqtx/iphone_6_plus_apps_no_longer_updating/.
( )
nospam
2021-08-18 21:23:21 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by nospam
Post by Ant
Now, 11 apps. Some problematic apps (Twitter and WebSSH) updates now ask
me to download their older versions because they want newer iOS versions
(e.g., v14.1 and v13.4). So, I do that and then it repeats. Others are
downloading and then repeating offered updated apps. :(
app store glitch.
stop worrying about it. it will eventually resolve itself.
It better be soon. Others are noticing them too like in
https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/p6qqtx/iphone_6_plus_apps_no_longer_updating/.
it's been an issue since the app store began.

the problem is that things get out of sync. eventually it will update
correctly.

stop worrying about it.