Deleted Apple account, but Ipad asks for ID and password
Johnny
2019-01-02 21:06:09 UTC
I went to https://privacy.apple.com/ and deleted my account, because I
want to give my Ipad Air to someone. I can verify my account no longer
exists, but the Ipad still prompts me for my password and ID.

I know now that I should have reset it before I deleted the account,
but it's too late.

Can anyone tell me how to reset the Ipad to factory specifications, in
a situation like this?

I know it recently updated to ios 12.
Leonard Blaisdell
2019-01-02 21:52:11 UTC
Post by Johnny
Can anyone tell me how to reset the Ipad to factory specifications, in
a situation like this?
Are you saying that you can't get into your iPad at all? If you can,
the Reset should be in Settings [the Gear]->Reset at the bottom of the
list.
This can't be what you're after.

leo
Johnny
2019-01-02 22:07:19 UTC
On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 13:52:11 -0800
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
Post by Johnny
Can anyone tell me how to reset the Ipad to factory specifications,
in a situation like this?
Are you saying that you can't get into your iPad at all? If you can,
the Reset should be in Settings [the Gear]->Reset at the bottom of the
list.
This can't be what you're after.
leo
I can get to it, but I can't reset because I'm asked for my password and
ID. I deleted my account, I don't have an ID and password. It still
enters my Email address for me, and I don't know where it's getting
that because I deleted my account.
Leonard Blaisdell
2019-01-02 22:22:50 UTC
Post by Johnny
I can get to it, but I can't reset because I'm asked for my password and
ID. I deleted my account, I don't have an ID and password. It still
enters my Email address for me, and I don't know where it's getting
that because I deleted my account.
I did this a couple of weeks ago but promptly forgot what I did. When
it asks for a password, give the iPad password. Better advice is
coming.

leo
David Empson
2019-01-02 23:41:12 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
Post by Johnny
Can anyone tell me how to reset the Ipad to factory specifications,
in a situation like this?
Are you saying that you can't get into your iPad at all? If you can,
the Reset should be in Settings [the Gear]->Reset at the bottom of the
list.
This can't be what you're after.
I can get to it, but I can't reset because I'm asked for my password and
ID. I deleted my account, I don't have an ID and password. It still
enters my Email address for me, and I don't know where it's getting
that because I deleted my account.
The email address (Apple ID) is filled in because the iPad was still
signed in to iCloud for your deleted Apple ID, so the iPad knows the
Apple ID which was used.

Since the Apple ID account has been deleted, you can't turn off Find my
iPad, which means you can't erase the iPad.

You may not be able to recreate an Apple ID using the same email address
again, because Apple may disallow recreating deleted accounts. Even if
you could do that it would be a new account and the internal account ID
would not match the previous one, so the iPad might still not be able to
sign in to the recreated account in order to turn off Find my iPad.

Contacting Apple Support is probably your best option, but that will be
seriously complicated because by deleting the account you have also
deleted all means they had of verifying your identity by looking at your
account history.

The only remaining method would be for you to prove ownership of the
iPad, by supplying Apple with proof of purchase.
--
David Empson
***@actrix.gen.nz
arlen holder
2019-01-03 18:50:52 UTC
Post by David Empson
Since the Apple ID account has been deleted, you can't turn off Find my
iPad, which means you can't erase the iPad.
Gotta love Apple products.
You willingly enter a prison you can't get out except by Draconian rules.
nospam
2019-01-02 23:51:46 UTC
Post by Johnny
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
Post by Johnny
Can anyone tell me how to reset the Ipad to factory specifications,
in a situation like this?
Are you saying that you can't get into your iPad at all? If you can,
the Reset should be in Settings [the Gear]->Reset at the bottom of the
list.
This can't be what you're after.
I can get to it, but I can't reset because I'm asked for my password and
ID. I deleted my account, I don't have an ID and password. It still
enters my Email address for me, and I don't know where it's getting
that because I deleted my account.
it's getting that because it's still linked to the account.

what happens when you use the password for the now dead account? i
assume you've tried that. did it reject it?

also try settings>itunes & app store, or tap your name at the top.

if you can't unlink the apple id from within settings, then you will
need to go to an apple store and explain what you did.

i don't think it's possible to re-enable an apple id, but if that can
be done, then that could work.

for apple to reset it, you will almost certainly need proof of
purchase, and it will take several days so that they can verify you are
the legitimate owner versus some rando who found an ipad and made up a
story about their password not working, hoping to steal someone else's
ipad.

if you bought it directly from apple, that won't be an issue, as they
will already have the information, but if you bought it from another
store, you're going to have to find the receipt.
KenW
2019-01-02 22:47:25 UTC
Post by Johnny
I went to https://privacy.apple.com/ and deleted my account, because I
want to give my Ipad Air to someone. I can verify my account no longer
exists, but the Ipad still prompts me for my password and ID.
I know now that I should have reset it before I deleted the account,
but it's too late.
Can anyone tell me how to reset the Ipad to factory specifications, in
a situation like this?
I know it recently updated to ios 12.
Don't know if you need what I did, but it can be reset with iTunes.

KenW
Johnny
2019-01-02 22:51:49 UTC
On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 15:47:25 -0700
Post by KenW
Post by Johnny
I went to https://privacy.apple.com/ and deleted my account, because
I want to give my Ipad Air to someone. I can verify my account no
longer exists, but the Ipad still prompts me for my password and ID.
I know now that I should have reset it before I deleted the account,
but it's too late.
Can anyone tell me how to reset the Ipad to factory specifications,
in a situation like this?
I know it recently updated to ios 12.
Don't know if you need what I did, but it can be reset with iTunes.
KenW
Can it be reset without out an Id and password? Will iTunes ask for
them?
KenW
2019-01-02 23:10:07 UTC
Post by KenW
Post by Johnny
I went to https://privacy.apple.com/ and deleted my account, because
I want to give my Ipad Air to someone. I can verify my account no
longer exists, but the Ipad still prompts me for my password and ID.
I know now that I should have reset it before I deleted the account,
but it's too late.
Can anyone tell me how to reset the Ipad to factory specifications,
in a situation like this?
I know it recently updated to ios 12.
Don't know if you need what I did, but it can be reset with iTunes.
KenW
Can it be reset without out an Id and password? Will iTunes ask for
them?
I didn't need either when I did it. Somehow my password got screwed
up. I can never forget my Son's date of birth !!
Search for I think 'reset iPad'

KenW
Johnny
2019-01-02 23:20:51 UTC
Post by KenW
Post by Johnny
[...]
I have been searching for a solution. I tried plugging in the USB
cable to my computer. Turning off the ipad, holding down the home
button, and plugging in the other end of the cable in the ipad. I
waited until I saw the iTunes logo. but I never saw connect to iTunes.
KenW
2019-01-02 23:30:08 UTC
Post by KenW
Post by Johnny
[...]
I don't know the iPad very well. Search for info is all I can tell
you...Sorry

KenW
Johnny
2019-01-02 23:38:10 UTC
Post by KenW
Post by Johnny
[...]
It's not a problem with the ipad, the problem is with Apple. They know
my account has been deleted, and shouldn't be asking me for a password
when I turn on Wi-Fi.

I hate to do it, but I'm thinking of disconnecting the battery, and see
if that will reset it.
Wade Garrett
2019-01-02 23:50:36 UTC
Post by KenW
Post by Johnny
I went to https://privacy.apple.com/ and deleted my account,
because I want to give my Ipad Air to someone. I can verify my
account no longer exists, but the Ipad still prompts me for my
password and ID.
I know now that I should have reset it before I deleted the
account, but it's too late.
Can anyone tell me how to reset the Ipad to factory
specifications, in a situation like this?
I know it recently updated to ios 12.
Don't know if you need what I did, but it can be reset with iTunes.
KenW
It's not a problem with the ipad, the problem is with Apple. They know
my account has been deleted, and shouldn't be asking me for a password
when I turn on Wi-Fi.
I hate to do it, but I'm thinking of disconnecting the battery, and see
if that will reset it.
Be sure to report back on your success disconnecting the battery ;-)
--
Ever notice the shortage of "armed law-abiding citizen” victim tragedy
stories in the news?
Davoud
2019-01-03 16:13:34 UTC
Post by Wade Garrett
Post by Johnny
I hate to do it, but I'm thinking of disconnecting the battery, and see
if that will reset it.
Be sure to report back on your success disconnecting the battery ;-)
:-) :-) :-) !
you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
nospam
2019-01-02 23:51:44 UTC
Post by Johnny
It's not a problem with the ipad, the problem is with Apple. They know
my account has been deleted, and shouldn't be asking me for a password
when I turn on Wi-Fi.
nope. the problem is you deleted the apple id before releasing devices
that use it.
it won't.
Lewis
2019-01-03 09:15:10 UTC
Post by KenW
Post by Johnny
[...]
Nope, this is a classic PEBKAC issue. It is in no way Apple's fault.
Post by Johnny
They know my account has been deleted, and shouldn't be asking me for
a password when I turn on Wi-Fi.
The iPad is secured with the Apple ID and has no possible way to know
you deleted the account.
Post by Johnny
I hate to do it, but I'm thinking of disconnecting the battery, and see
if that will reset it.
It will not.
--
"@Drhorrible is not following you" Whew! that's a relief, I was sure
some super villain was following me. Hope it's not Dick Cheney.
Leonard Blaisdell
2019-01-02 23:48:46 UTC
Post by Johnny
I have been searching for a solution. I tried plugging in the USB
cable to my computer. Turning off the ipad, holding down the home
button, and plugging in the other end of the cable in the ipad. I
waited until I saw the iTunes logo. but I never saw connect to iTunes.
You don't have the iPad passcode. "Find my iPhone" will not be your
friend.

leo
Jolly Roger
2019-01-03 00:52:48 UTC
Post by Johnny
I went to https://privacy.apple.com/ and deleted my account, because I
want to give my Ipad Air to someone. I can verify my account no longer
exists, but the Ipad still prompts me for my password and ID.
I know now that I should have reset it before I deleted the account,
but it's too late.
Can anyone tell me how to reset the Ipad to factory specifications, in
a situation like this?
I know it recently updated to ios 12.
Follow Apple's instructions:

<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351>

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or
iPod touch Use these steps to remove your personal information from a
device, even if you don't have it anymore.

If you still have your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Before you sell, give away, or trade in your device, you should remove
your personal information. You shouldn't manually delete your contacts,
calendars, reminders, documents, photos, or any other iCloud information
while you're signed in to iCloud with your Apple ID. This would delete
your content from the iCloud servers and any of your devices signed in
to iCloud.

Follow these steps:

1. If you paired an Apple Watch with your iPhone, unpair your Apple Watch.

2. Back up your device.

3. Sign out of iCloud and the iTunes & App Store.

* If you're using iOS 10.3 or later, tap Settings > [your name]. Scroll
down and tap Sign Out. Enter your Apple ID password and tap Turn Off.

* If you're using iOS 10.2 or earlier, tap Settings > iCloud > Sign
Out. Tap Sign Out again, then tap Delete from My [device] and enter
your Apple ID password. Then go to Settings > iTunes & App Store >
Apple ID > Sign Out.

Settings. If you turned on Find My iPhone, you might need to enter your
Apple ID and password.

5. If asked for your device passcode or Restrictions passcode, enter it.
Then tap Erase [device].

6. If you're switching to a non-Apple phone, deregister iMessage.

7. Contact your carrier for help transferring service to a new owner. If
you aren't using a SIM card with your device, you can contact them to
get help transferring service to the new owner.

When you erase your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, Find My iPhone and
Activation Lock is turned off.

If you no longer have your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the steps above weren't completed and you no longer have your device,
use these steps:

1. Ask the new owner to erase all content and settings using the above
steps.

2. If you're using iCloud and Find My iPhone on the device, sign in to
iCloud.com or the Find My iPhone app on another device, select the
device, and click Erase. After the device has been erased, click Remove
from Account.

3. If you can't follow either of the above steps, change your Apple ID
password. This won't remove personal information that's stored on your
old device, but it prevents the new owner from deleting your information
from iCloud.

4. If you're switching to a non-Apple phone, deregister iMessage.

5. If you're using Apple Pay, you can remove your credit or debit cards
at iCloud.com. Choose Settings to see which devices are using Apple Pay,
then click the device. Next to Apple Pay, click Remove.

JR
Lewis
2019-01-03 09:10:42 UTC
Post by Johnny
I went to https://privacy.apple.com/ and deleted my account, because I
want to give my Ipad Air to someone.
these two actions have nothing to do with each other.
Post by Johnny
I know now that I should have reset it before I deleted the account,
You should not have deleted the account at all.
Post by Johnny
Can anyone tell me how to reset the Ipad to factory specifications, in
a situation like this?
Depends. Is "Find my iPad" enabled? If so, you will have to go to Apple
with a hard copy of proof of purchase and explain what you did.
--
He [Rincewind] wondered how old the tower really was. Older than the
University, certainly. Older than the city, which had formed about it
like scree around a mountain. Maybe older than geography.
Davoud
2019-01-03 16:11:23 UTC
Post by Johnny
I went to https://privacy.apple.com/ and deleted my account, because I
want to give my Ipad Air to someone. I can verify my account no longer
exists, but the Ipad still prompts me for my password and ID.
I know now that I should have reset it before I deleted the account,
but it's too late.
Can anyone tell me how to reset the Ipad to factory specifications, in
a situation like this?
I know it recently updated to ios 12.
1. Next time, read the instructions *first* .

2. When you hand the iPad over have the new owner create an Apple ID
(if s/he doesn't already have one) and enter it into the iPad. It will
replace yours.

3. I didn't know that an Apple ID account could be deleted; I thought
every living member of genus Homo was required to have one.