Apple have stolen my iPAD
Rod Speed
2016-04-11 07:23:53 UTC
Apple have stolen my iPAD
CC, Apple, Becextech, Australian Computers Newsgroup, The Apple Support
Community.
I purchased an iPad from Becextech Australia in August 2012, (Order
#19453) and it was working fine until Apple decided to upgrade their O/S
on the 24th of March 2016, and have now locked me out of using it.
Becextech is an on line Australian supplier: https://becextech.com.au/
and they are selling the whole range of Apple products.
After several attempts at getting it unlocked, Apple now tell me that
the Becextech receipt (which I actually found after 3 and a half years)
is a "Second Hand Receipt", (their words), and not good enough for proof
of purchase, so they can't unlock the iPAD for me.
I have been working on trying to get this sorted out since the date it
stopped working. Just spent another hour on the phone to Apple talking
to Paidro. I spent about the same time with Demi on the phone. Both of
these people have been very good, but are obviously restricted in what
they can do for me.
What I am now being told is that Becextech have to provide proof of
purchase of this product from an Authorized Apple dealer before they
will unlock this device. I am still waiting on a response from
Becextech. I doubt very much that they can do anything for me, but I do
need a response from them.
I can't understand why a company such as Apple would allow me to use a
device for 3 and a half years, then stop me using it.
I am a 73 year old aged pensioner, and I know that this is very, very
wrong, perhaps even a criminal offense. We paid good money to Becextech,
knowing a large portion of these funds flowed on to Apple in some way,
and we are locked out of a product after nearly 4 years of use.
Apple say Becextech aren't an Authorized dealer, and this is the reason
they need to provide proof of purchase to Apple.
It appears the problem is associated with me not knowing my password for
is the point in me knowing the password after nearly 4 years.
I have been using the same username and password to get into 3 Apple
accounts (as well as my iPAD) and my ID credentials are working well.
These are all web based accounts: "My Apple ID account", "My Apple
icloud account", and "The Apple Support Community".
IMO someone in Apple is having a massive brain fart
or the ipad was reported as stolen by its original owner.
Its perfectly legal to buy a used ipad.
I am pondering my next step, and wondering if Consumer Affairs is a long
road to take,
The small claims system isnt that hard to use,
but from memory you are in Victoria and also
from memory the up front fee isnt that low there.
Yes you are in Victoria and yes it isnt that cheap at
all to use VCAT but it wouldn’t cost you anything
to threaten Apple with that and see if that sees
get their act into gear.
or should I just go straight to the media.
I'd be surprised if they are interested, but I've
never tried using them for something like that.
I've also added comp.mobile.ipad, there might well
be some obvious fix given that your apple ID still works
fine and the problem is with the @me.com account
and it isn't at all obvious to me what that is about.
Don McKenzie
2016-04-11 07:48:50 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
The small claims system isnt that hard to use,
but from memory you are in Victoria and also
from memory the up front fee isnt that low there.
Yes you are in Victoria and yes it isnt that cheap at
all to use VCAT but it wouldn’t cost you anything
to threaten Apple with that and see if that sees
get their act into gear.
or should I just go straight to the media.
I'd be surprised if they are interested, but I've
never tried using them for something like that.
I've also added comp.mobile.ipad, there might well
be some obvious fix given that your apple ID still works
and it isn't at all obvious to me what that is about.
Thanks on all counts Rod.

Have already shot an email off to Consumer Affairs Victoria, so we will see what they have to say about it.

Sad part is the retailer hasn't answered me to date, so I will need to pressure and hopefully get an answer before going
to the media, but I won't be waiting too long.

Cheers Don...
--
Don McKenzie

http://www.dontronics-shop.com

All Olimex products now 75% to 95% off normal Olimex Prices.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/olimex-ltd.html
Many other items discounted up to 95% off.
Also discounts on Sparkfun, CCS, SimmStick, etc.
Jolly Roger
2016-04-11 15:58:48 UTC
Apple have stolen my iPAD
CC, Apple, Becextech, Australian Computers Newsgroup, The Apple Support
Community.
I purchased an iPad from Becextech Australia in August 2012, (Order
#19453) and it was working fine until Apple decided to upgrade their O/S
on the 24th of March 2016, and have now locked me out of using it.
How exactly are you locked out of using it?

Have you tried connecting it to a computer running iTunes and applying the
latest iOS update through iTunes?

Have you tried restoring the iPad through iTunes?

JR
Don McKenzie
2016-04-11 19:07:59 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Apple have stolen my iPAD
CC, Apple, Becextech, Australian Computers Newsgroup, The Apple Support
Community.
I purchased an iPad from Becextech Australia in August 2012, (Order
#19453) and it was working fine until Apple decided to upgrade their O/S
on the 24th of March 2016, and have now locked me out of using it.
How exactly are you locked out of using it?
Have you tried connecting it to a computer running iTunes and applying the
latest iOS update through iTunes?
Have you tried restoring the iPad through iTunes?
Hi Jolly,

I currently don't have iTunes running on any computer system, however I have spoken to Apple about doing this, and they
say it will not work. Please bare in mind that I have now spent many hours on the phone to AppleCare Senior Technical
Support Advisors. If I thought this would work, I would install and try, but they say NO.

Lock out?
I get a message that I must use my "@me.com" account password to unlock it. They have now locked this account, and I
can't even guess a password.

Cheers Don...

nospam
2016-04-11 19:18:53 UTC
Post by Don McKenzie
Post by Jolly Roger
[...]
why wouldn't you have itunes running? it's a free download.

in any event, how is the ipad locked? is it activation lock??
Post by Don McKenzie
Lock out?
They have now locked this account, and I
can't even guess a password.
you don't know the password to your own apple id?? seriously???

apple may have blocked it due to potential fraudulent use, in which
case, the legitimate owner just needs to reset it. it's a hassle but
it's not a big deal.

however, if you don't know your password and can't provide answers to
your security questions, you're pretty much fucked.
Don McKenzie
2016-04-11 19:48:15 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Don McKenzie
Post by Jolly Roger
[...]
Post by Don McKenzie
Lock out?
They have now locked this account, and I
can't even guess a password.
you don't know the password to your own apple id?? seriously???
apple may have blocked it due to potential fraudulent use, in which
case, the legitimate owner just needs to reset it. it's a hassle but
it's not a big deal.
however, if you don't know your password and can't provide answers to
your security questions, you're pretty much fucked.
Think I better explain this again.

My normal username and password gets me into 3 on line accounts, and has worked on my iPAD for 3.5 years.

When the latest update took place, it was telling me that the account was now associated with an @me.com account.

I can get into my apple ID on line, change the security questions, change the password, but unless I have the password
for the @me.com account they can't do anything. After 3.5 years of not needing the me.com details, why do I need it now?

Why have Itunes installed when I have an iPAD?
And Apple tell me it won't work anyway. I have spent many hours on the phone with them over this.

Cheers Don...

nospam
2016-04-11 19:55:08 UTC
Post by Don McKenzie
My normal username and password gets me into 3 on line accounts, and has
worked on my iPAD for 3.5 years.
When the latest update took place, it was telling me that the account was now
I can get into my apple ID on line, change the security questions, change the
password, but unless I have the password
needing the me.com details, why do I need it now?
where does this me.com account come into play, if it's presumably
different from the 3 online accounts and your apple id?
Post by Don McKenzie
Why have Itunes installed when I have an iPAD?
to back up the ipad, sync content and many other things.

it's a free download. there's no reason not to have it.
apple is not always correct.
Jolly Roger
2016-04-11 19:58:06 UTC
Post by Don McKenzie
Think I better explain this again.
You should probably start from the top since this is a new news group
and we haven't seen any prior discussion about the issue.
Post by Don McKenzie
My normal username and password gets me into 3 on line accounts, and
has worked on my iPAD for 3.5 years.
Which three online accounts, specifically? You're leaving far too much
information out which leaves all of us guessing. Without details,
helping you is like pulling teeth.
Post by Don McKenzie
When the latest update took place, it was telling me that the account
You've likely had the me.com account since the beginning. Otherwise it
wouldn't be asking for it.
Post by Don McKenzie
I can get into my apple ID on line, change the security questions,
account they can't do anything. After 3.5 years of not needing the
me.com details, why do I need it now?
Why have Itunes installed when I have an iPAD?
There are many reasons to use iTunes with an iPad since they are
designed to work with each other. Among other things, iTunes can back up
all of the data on your iPad so that it can be restored later. It can
also configure various things on the iPad as well as synchronize content
between the computer and the iPad.
Post by Don McKenzie
And Apple tell me it won't work anyway. I have spent many hours on the
phone with them over this.
Well you're leaving so much information out, I doubt anyone here can
help you either.

JR
nospam

every post adds new information.
Don McKenzie
2016-04-11 20:19:19 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Don McKenzie
My normal username and password gets me into 3 on line accounts, and
has worked on my iPAD for 3.5 years.
Which three online accounts, specifically? You're leaving far too much
information out which leaves all of us guessing. Without details,
helping you is like pulling teeth.
no kidding.
every post adds new information.
Perhaps I should explain this a little, as users in the group comp.mobile.ipad missed the lead in information.

I originally posted this message only to aus.computers.
Rod Speed kindly re-posted the thread that was running to comp.mobile.ipad as he felt I would get more constructive feed
back here, but of course you missed my original post on the subject.

I just posted my initial question to a previous poster in comp.mobile.ipad, however the full message can be seen on the
Apple Support Communities thread at:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/30057436

Cheers Don...

Don McKenzie
2016-04-11 20:08:15 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Don McKenzie
Think I better explain this again.
You should probably start from the top since this is a new news group
and we haven't seen any prior discussion about the issue.
OK thanks Jolly, here is the original message I posted to the Apple community.

The thread can be seen at:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/30057436

=====================================

Apr 10, 2016 3:32 PM

[...]

It appears the problem is associated with me not knowing my password for a "@me.com" account. As I don't have access to
the domain "me.com" what is the point in me knowing the password after nearly 4 years.

I have been using the same username and password to get into 3 Apple accounts (as well as my iPAD) and my ID credentials
are working well. These are all web based accounts: "My Apple ID account", "My Apple icloud account", and "The Apple
Support Community".

I am pondering my next step, and wondering if Consumer Affairs is a long road to take, or should I just go straight to
the media.

Cheers Don...

nospam
2016-04-11 20:21:43 UTC
Post by Don McKenzie
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Don McKenzie
Think I better explain this again.
You should probably start from the top since this is a new news group
and we haven't seen any prior discussion about the issue.
OK thanks Jolly, here is the original message I posted to the Apple community.
https://discussions.apple.com/message/30057436
=====================================
Apr 10, 2016 3:32 PM
Apple have stolen my iPAD
then file a police report.

the reality is that nobody stole anything and you're coming off as a
lunatic.
Post by Don McKenzie
CC, Apple, Becextech, Australian Computers Newsgroup, The Apple Support Community.
I purchased an iPad from Becextech Australia in August 2012, (Order #19453)
and it was working fine until Apple decided
to upgrade their O/S on the 24th of March 2016, and have now locked me out of
using it. Becextech is an on line
Australian supplier: https://becextech.com.au/ and they are selling the whole
range of Apple products.
apple didn't decide to upgrade the os.

apple *alerted* you that an update was *available*, at which point
*you* had to confirm the update for it to be installed.
Post by Don McKenzie
After several attempts at getting it unlocked, Apple now tell me that the
Becextech receipt (which I actually found
after 3 and a half years) is a "Second Hand Receipt", (their words), and not
good enough for proof of purchase, so they
can't unlock the iPAD for me.
then your issue is with becextech.

also note that a used ipad may still be attached to the previous
owner's account. if that's the case you'll need *their* account
information to release it.
Post by Don McKenzie
I have been working on trying to get this sorted out since the date it
stopped working. Just spent another hour on the
phone to Apple talking to Paidro. I spent about the same time with Demi on
the phone. Both of these people have been
very good, but are obviously restricted in what they can do for me.
that's because they need to be sure it's really yours versus a stolen
ipad.
Post by Don McKenzie
What I am now being told is that Becextech have to provide proof of purchase
of this product from an Authorized Apple
dealer before they will unlock this device. I am still waiting on a response
from Becextech. I doubt very much that they
can do anything for me, but I do need a response from them.
that sounds like the correct answer.

you need proof you legitimately bought the ipad and that it's not
stolen.
Post by Don McKenzie
I can't understand why a company such as Apple would allow me to use a device
for 3 and a half years, then stop me using it.
somehow you slipped under the radar.
Post by Don McKenzie
I am a 73 year old aged pensioner, and I know that this is very, very wrong,
perhaps even a criminal offense. We paid
good money to Becextech, knowing a large portion of these funds flowed on to
Apple in some way, and we are locked out of
a product after nearly 4 years of use.
if you really think it's a criminal offense, hire a lawyer and pursue
it.

the reality is that it's not.
Post by Don McKenzie
Apple say Becextech aren't an Authorized dealer, and this is the reason they
need to provide proof of purchase to Apple.
apple would want proof of purchase no matter what.
Post by Don McKenzie
It appears the problem is associated with me not knowing my password for a
the domain "me.com" what is the point in me knowing the password after nearly 4 years.
how does this 'me account' fit into the grand scheme of things?

is it different than your apple id?
Don McKenzie
2016-04-11 20:32:48 UTC
Post by nospam
the reality is that nobody stole anything and you're coming off as a
lunatic.
They stole the ability for me to use a device that I paid good money for, and I'm the one that is coming off as a lunatic?
Post by nospam
apple didn't decide to upgrade the os.
apple *alerted* you that an update was *available*, at which point
*you* had to confirm the update for it to be installed.
So I say no and hang off?

It' would be like trying to stop a W10 upgrade an a W8 machine.

Besides my wife uses the device, and upgraded it to the new operating system.
Post by nospam
also note that a used ipad may still be attached to the previous
owner's account. if that's the case you'll need *their* account
information to release it.
It isn't used, I purchased it new.
Post by nospam
Post by Don McKenzie
I can't understand why a company such as Apple would allow me to use a device
for 3 and a half years, then stop me using it.
somehow you slipped under the radar.
I must have.
Post by nospam
Post by Don McKenzie
It appears the problem is associated with me not knowing my password for a
the domain "me.com" what is the point in me knowing the password after nearly 4 years.
how does this 'me account' fit into the grand scheme of things?
is it different than your apple id?
Yes, it is different. Tell me, you don't need an me.com account and password to get into your iPAD?
I certainly do after the 24th of March.

Cheers Don...

Rod Speed
2016-04-11 19:23:19 UTC
Post by Don McKenzie
Post by Jolly Roger
Apple have stolen my iPAD
CC, Apple, Becextech, Australian Computers Newsgroup, The Apple Support
Community.
I purchased an iPad from Becextech Australia in August 2012, (Order
#19453) and it was working fine until Apple decided to upgrade their O/S
on the 24th of March 2016, and have now locked me out of using it.
How exactly are you locked out of using it?
Have you tried connecting it to a computer running iTunes and applying the
latest iOS update through iTunes?
Have you tried restoring the iPad through iTunes?
Hi Jolly,
I currently don't have iTunes running on any computer system, however I
have spoken to Apple about doing this, and they say it will not work.
It does in fact work fine. I've just done it with an iphone
5 which does appear to have been stolen that one of the
neighbours kids was stupid enough to buy off someone
he knows. It does update iOS fine and then asks for the
Apple ID password which he obviously doesn’t know.
Post by Don McKenzie
Please bare in mind that I have now spent many hours on the phone to
AppleCare Senior Technical Support Advisors. If I thought this would work,
I would install and try, but they say NO.
Lock out?
it.
On further thought, that appears to be what was
used for the Apple ID when the ipad was first setup.

So its asking for that again now, and since you have
forgotten the password for that account, it assumes
it’s a stolen ipad.

While Apple will reset an idevice that has been locked
out when you have forgotten your Apple ID password,
it should be obvious why they want proof its yours.

Maybe you don’t realise you can in fact have more than
one Apple ID, so the fact that you can still use a different
one doesn’t say anything useful about the one that was
used when you first setup that ipad after getting it.
Post by Don McKenzie
They have now locked this account, and I can't even guess a password.
I'd still threaten Apple with VCAT even if you don’t plan
to spend the substantial fee to use VCAT because they
may well back off from their demand that you be able
to show a receipt from an Apple authorised reseller for
your original purchase.
Rod Speed
2016-04-11 19:26:22 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by Don McKenzie
They have now locked this account, and I can't even guess a password.
You should still be able to try guessing passwords with that
Apple ID using the @me.com account if you do that online
to the Apple web site.
your original purchase.
Don McKenzie
2016-04-11 19:53:50 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
You should still be able to try guessing passwords with that
to the Apple web site.
Just tried it again Rod, they have locked me out of the @me.com account, and I can edit my normal ID that I have been
using for 3.5 years, even change the security questions and password.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by Rod Speed
I'd still threaten Apple with VCAT even if you don’t plan
to spend the substantial fee to use VCAT because they
may well back off from their demand that you be able
to show a receipt from an Apple authorised reseller for
your original purchase.
What sort of a fee would we be talking Rod?

I have sent an in depth email to Consumer Affairs Victoria, so we will see how that goes.

Cheers Don...

Rod Speed
2016-04-11 20:49:01 UTC
Post by Don McKenzie
You should still be able to try guessing passwords with that Apple ID
Just tried it again Rod,
Presumably you mean when using it online.
Don’t allow you to use that on an apple site.
Post by Don McKenzie
and I can edit my normal ID that I have been using for 3.5 years, even
change the security questions and password.
Yeah, you can have more than one Apple ID.

And you would normally use your own when setting up
a stolen idevice. That is what they believe you have done.
Post by Don McKenzie
Post by Rod Speed
I'd still threaten Apple with VCAT even if you don’t plan
to spend the substantial fee to use VCAT because they
may well back off from their demand that you be able
to show a receipt from an Apple authorised reseller for
your original purchase.
What sort of a fee would we be talking Rod?
https://www.vcat.vic.gov.au/system/files/vcat_fees_effective_1_july_2015_2.pdf
Claims for less than $500 $59.80
Claims for $500 or more but less than $10,000 $174.10
Post by Don McKenzie
I have sent an in depth email to Consumer Affairs Victoria, so we will see how that goes.
I'd personally threaten Apple with VCAT and wouldn’t
bother to use VCAT if they ignore the threat.

The threat may well get your problem escalated with Apple
to someone who has the authority to accept the receipt from
Becextech as sufficient proof that you did buy the ipad and
that it wasn’t stolen.

Don McKenzie
2016-04-11 19:50:53 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by Don McKenzie
They have now locked this account, and I can't even guess a password.
I'd still threaten Apple with VCAT even if you don’t plan
to spend the substantial fee to use VCAT because they
may well back off from their demand that you be able
to show a receipt from an Apple authorised reseller for
your original purchase.
Thanks Rod,

If Apple allows their authorized re-sellers to sell onto large on-line stores, then surely they must be responsible. If
not, they should ban all authorized re-sellers from on selling these goods. They can't have it both ways.

As a consumer, it sticks me in the middle of their back yard brawl, and I suffer. Apple got my money, and I can't get
access to a product that they manufactured and sold to me via their legal, or illegal system of sales.

Cheers Don...

Rod Speed
2016-04-11 20:40:05 UTC
Post by Don McKenzie
Post by Rod Speed
Post by Don McKenzie
They have now locked this account, and I can't even guess a password.
I'd still threaten Apple with VCAT even if you don’t plan
to spend the substantial fee to use VCAT because they
may well back off from their demand that you be able
to show a receipt from an Apple authorised reseller for
your original purchase.
Thanks Rod,
If Apple allows their authorized re-sellers to sell onto large on-line
stores, then surely they must be responsible.
Who is responsible for what tho. I can see that if they suspect
that your ipad may have been stolen, and that is why they will
not reset it themselves when you can't remember the password
for the @me.com account that you presumably used to setup
that ipad initially after you had bought it and can't answer the
security questions now, that they may consider it may have
been stolen and was sold to you after it had been stolen.
Post by Don McKenzie
If not, they should ban all authorized re-sellers from on selling these
goods.
They can't do that legally.
Post by Don McKenzie
They can't have it both ways.
They can actually.
Post by Don McKenzie
As a consumer, it sticks me in the middle of their back yard brawl, and I
suffer.
Its more complicated than that. They are in fact attempting
to ensure that there is no market for stolen idevices.
Post by Don McKenzie
Apple got my money,
They aren't sure that they did given that Becextech is
not and never has been an authorised Apple reseller.
Post by Don McKenzie
and I can't get access to a product that they manufactured and sold to me
via their legal, or illegal system of sales.
There is nothing illegal about it and you don’t
know where Becextech got that ipad from.
Don McKenzie
2016-04-11 20:48:58 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
There is nothing illegal about it and you don’t
know where Becextech got that ipad from.
they have 10 web pages of just Apple Tablets, so it makes you wonder where they got them all from.
http://becextech.com.au/catalog/computer-tablet-apple-tablet-c-24_70.html

Then there is the phones, then the PCs. They must have more stock than Apple. :-)

Cheers Don...