How do get iCloud Backup and SanDisk iXpand to backup/copy arbitrary files on my iPad?
Mark F
2015-06-08 22:10:51 UTC
How do get iCloud Backup and SanDisk iXpand to backup/copy arbitrary
files on my iPad?

I have downloaded a bunch of files in Azul Media Player, but I don't
see a way to select them for back in iCloud Backup or copy using a
SanDisk iXpand memory key with its iXpand Sync software.

No problems with files in the limited number of known places:
For the iXpand:
Music, Photos, Videos, and a couple of other places, but not
an arbitrary place or where Azul Media Player puts them by default
For iCloud backup:
Photos, Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Safari, Notes, and
Keychain, but again not arbitrary or specifically where Azul Media
Player puts them.

Also:
The iCould backup "server" seems to have up to 3 backups
Thus, if you delete a file on your, for instance Apple iPad Air 2,
you can restore from the 3rd backup back. This doesn't do you
much good if you let things run automatically each day and don't
notice that you deleted something by accident at the start of the
previous month.

Is it possible to save more than that with iCloud backup?

Is there another program that can do that?

An Apple support person said that you aren't charged for the
old backups. Is that true, are am I charged for all space used
in the iCloud servers?

And:
Is there software for iPads to keep multiple versions of files
like I can with many programs for Windows (SpiderOak, and CrashPlan,
two that I use and have unlimited storage space for a fixed charge.)

I can also "prune" the backups on the servers so that I don't
clog things up by having terabytes of movies that I could
finish watching the first time.

There seem to be a couple of programs for iPads and the like
that allow you to edit a "ball" that is made by iCould backup,
but I don't know the names. Also, I don't know if they can
be set to run automatically, or you have to manually download the
"ball" for each iCould backup to your Windows computer.
Also, I didn't see anything to automatically merge the balls on
my Windows machine, so I'd have to manually merge stuff.
sobriquet
2015-06-09 17:04:26 UTC
Post by Mark F
[...]
There is no such thing as a backup of the ipad.

Ipad was intentionally designed with the idea of denying users the
freedom to create a backup of the contents of the ipad.

It even was intentionally designed with the idea of denying users
the freedom to put arbitrary files on it.

Try saving an svg image on the ipad... it just doesn't work.
sobriquet
2015-06-09 17:50:44 UTC
Post by sobriquet
Post by Mark F
[...]
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b0/NewTux.svg

Well ok, with a jailbroken ipad, I can still actually save the
file on the ipad, but then it can be a hassle to get it into a
particular app (like inkpad), as most apps can't access the
filesystem (so you'd have to take a detour via dropbox or
something).
Jolly Roger
2015-06-09 18:03:44 UTC
Post by sobriquet
Well ok, with a jailbroken ipad, I can still actually save the
file on the ipad, but then it can be a hassle to get it into a
particular app (like inkpad), as most apps can't access the
filesystem (so you'd have to take a detour via dropbox or
something).
Meanwhile the rest of us who use the device as designed (rather than
bitching and moaning because even though Apple designed it this way we
bought it anyway and now unrealistically expect it to be different) have
no such issues to work around. : )

JR
sobriquet
2015-06-09 18:49:58 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by sobriquet
Well ok, with a jailbroken ipad, I can still actually save the
file on the ipad, but then it can be a hassle to get it into a
particular app (like inkpad), as most apps can't access the
filesystem (so you'd have to take a detour via dropbox or
something).
Meanwhile the rest of us who use the device as designed (rather than
bitching and moaning because even though Apple designed it this way we
bought it anyway and now unrealistically expect it to be different) have
no such issues to work around. : )
Perhaps you have no issues to work around because you only use the
ipad for a very limited range of activities.

It's really not such a complicated task to get an svg image in a
vector graphics app like inkpad, but on the ipad you need to go
through a lot of silly extra steps. You can't simply copy and
paste the image from the browser into the inkpad app.
JR
nospam
2015-06-09 19:43:09 UTC
Post by sobriquet
It's really not such a complicated task to get an svg image in a
vector graphics app like inkpad, but on the ipad you need to go
through a lot of silly extra steps. You can't simply copy and
paste the image from the browser into the inkpad app.
blame the authors of inkpad for not supporting share or even svg.

that's not an ios issue.
sobriquet
2015-06-09 20:08:33 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by sobriquet
It's really not such a complicated task to get an svg image in a
vector graphics app like inkpad, but on the ipad you need to go
through a lot of silly extra steps. You can't simply copy and
paste the image from the browser into the inkpad app.
blame the authors of inkpad for not supporting share or even svg.
that's not an ios issue.
It is an ios issue. On my android smartphone it's no problem to save
the svg file to the device and open it in PS Touch.
On the ipad, it's not so easy to get the file into PS Touch.
nospam
user stupidity.
sobriquet
2015-06-09 20:26:54 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by sobriquet
Post by sobriquet
On my android smartphone it's no problem to save
the svg file to the device and open it in PS Touch.
On the ipad, it's not so easy to get the file into PS Touch.
user stupidity.
So you're denying that the svg file can't be saved on the ipad
in a location where it's accessible to PS Touch?

I can save the svg file on my android smartphone in a location
where it's accessible to PS Touch.

Are you saying the PS Touch developers are intentionally limiting
the functionality of the ipad version compared to the android
version?
nospam
2015-06-09 20:38:12 UTC
Post by sobriquet
Post by nospam
Post by sobriquet
On my android smartphone it's no problem to save
the svg file to the device and open it in PS Touch.
On the ipad, it's not so easy to get the file into PS Touch.
user stupidity.
So you're denying that the svg file can't be saved on the ipad
in a location where it's accessible to PS Touch?
it's trivial to download and save any file.

whether another app can access it is up to the developer of that app.
Post by sobriquet
I can save the svg file on my android smartphone in a location
where it's accessible to PS Touch.
Are you saying the PS Touch developers are intentionally limiting
the functionality of the ipad version compared to the android
version?
more likely that there is no demand for such a feature so they didn't
bother. they have more important things to do that more people want.

had you paid for the app, you could request features, but since you
stole it, you're the *last* person they'll listen to.
sobriquet
2015-06-09 21:03:12 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by sobriquet
Post by nospam
Post by sobriquet
On my android smartphone it's no problem to save
the svg file to the device and open it in PS Touch.
On the ipad, it's not so easy to get the file into PS Touch.
user stupidity.
So you're denying that the svg file can't be saved on the ipad
in a location where it's accessible to PS Touch?
it's trivial to download and save any file.
Well, try it. Show me a screenshot of your ipad where you
actually save the svg file on the ipad (without jailbreaking
the ipad).

If it's so trivial, you should be able to show a screenshot
of how you pull that off exactly.
Post by sobriquet
I can save the svg file on my android smartphone in a location
where it's accessible to PS Touch.
Are you saying the PS Touch developers are intentionally limiting
the functionality of the ipad version compared to the android
version?
more likely that there is no demand for such a feature so they didn't
bother. they have more important things to do that more people want.
More likely that ios restricts them to access svg files,
because there is no way to store svg files on the ipad (unless
you jailbreak it).

On the android device, there is no such restriction and so
PS Touch will simply open the svg file from the device.

It's not like PS Touch can't handle svg files, it's just
that iOs won't allow PS Touch to access any svg files on
the device.
nospam
2015-06-09 21:38:06 UTC
Post by sobriquet
Post by nospam
Post by sobriquet
Post by nospam
Post by sobriquet
On my android smartphone it's no problem to save
the svg file to the device and open it in PS Touch.
On the ipad, it's not so easy to get the file into PS Touch.
user stupidity.
So you're denying that the svg file can't be saved on the ipad
in a location where it's accessible to PS Touch?
it's trivial to download and save any file.
Well, try it. Show me a screenshot of your ipad where you
actually save the svg file on the ipad (without jailbreaking
the ipad).
If it's so trivial, you should be able to show a screenshot
of how you pull that off exactly.
many apps provide for downloading and saving arbitrary files.
Post by sobriquet
I can save the svg file on my android smartphone in a location
where it's accessible to PS Touch.
Are you saying the PS Touch developers are intentionally limiting
the functionality of the ipad version compared to the android
version?
more likely that there is no demand for such a feature so they didn't
bother. they have more important things to do that more people want.
More likely that ios restricts them to access svg files,
because there is no way to store svg files on the ipad (unless
you jailbreak it).
wrong.
http://i.imgur.com/5y24Anl.png
it's just that you're an idiot.
sobriquet
2015-06-09 21:47:39 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by sobriquet
Post by nospam
Post by sobriquet
Post by nospam
Post by sobriquet
On my android smartphone it's no problem to save
the svg file to the device and open it in PS Touch.
On the ipad, it's not so easy to get the file into PS Touch.
user stupidity.
So you're denying that the svg file can't be saved on the ipad
in a location where it's accessible to PS Touch?
it's trivial to download and save any file.
Well, try it. Show me a screenshot of your ipad where you
actually save the svg file on the ipad (without jailbreaking
the ipad).
If it's so trivial, you should be able to show a screenshot
of how you pull that off exactly.
many apps provide for downloading and saving arbitrary files.
So where will the those apps save the svg files on the ipad
to enable other apps to access them?
Post by nospam
Post by sobriquet
I can save the svg file on my android smartphone in a location
where it's accessible to PS Touch.
Are you saying the PS Touch developers are intentionally limiting
the functionality of the ipad version compared to the android
version?
more likely that there is no demand for such a feature so they didn't
bother. they have more important things to do that more people want.
More likely that ios restricts them to access svg files,
because there is no way to store svg files on the ipad (unless
you jailbreak it).
wrong.
So, show me where the ipad can store svg files so I can open them
with PS Touch like I can do on my android smartphone.
It's just that you're talking out of your ass.
nospam
2015-06-09 21:54:45 UTC
Post by sobriquet
Post by nospam
many apps provide for downloading and saving arbitrary files.
So where will the those apps save the svg files on the ipad
to enable other apps to access them?
it makes no difference where it saves anything because the file system
no longer matters.

all that matters is sharing support.
nope.
sobriquet
2015-06-09 22:12:16 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by sobriquet
Post by nospam
many apps provide for downloading and saving arbitrary files.
So where will the those apps save the svg files on the ipad
to enable other apps to access them?
it makes no difference where it saves anything because the file system
no longer matters.
all that matters is sharing support.
On android I don't need any 'sharing support' and I can simply
store and open the svg file from the device.

You can babble all you like about how the filesystem supposedly
no longer matters, but you're unable to show how to actually get
the svg file from the browser onto the ipad and subsequently how
to get it into PS Touch.
Post by nospam
nope.
nospam
2015-06-09 22:17:22 UTC
Post by sobriquet
Post by nospam
Post by sobriquet
Post by nospam
many apps provide for downloading and saving arbitrary files.
So where will the those apps save the svg files on the ipad
to enable other apps to access them?
it makes no difference where it saves anything because the file system
no longer matters.
all that matters is sharing support.
On android I don't need any 'sharing support' and I can simply
store and open the svg file from the device.
You can babble all you like about how the filesystem supposedly
no longer matters, but you're unable to show how to actually get
the svg file from the browser onto the ipad and subsequently how
to get it into PS Touch.
apparently you are under a delusion that i have an interest in helping
you resolve it.

i explained what the issue is.
sobriquet
2015-06-09 22:42:56 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by sobriquet
Post by nospam
Post by sobriquet
Post by nospam
many apps provide for downloading and saving arbitrary files.
So where will the those apps save the svg files on the ipad
to enable other apps to access them?
it makes no difference where it saves anything because the file system
no longer matters.
all that matters is sharing support.
On android I don't need any 'sharing support' and I can simply
store and open the svg file from the device.
You can babble all you like about how the filesystem supposedly
no longer matters, but you're unable to show how to actually get
the svg file from the browser onto the ipad and subsequently how
to get it into PS Touch.
apparently you are under a delusion that i have an interest in helping
you resolve it.
i explained what the issue is.
There is no issue to resolve. I can get the svg file into any app
I want. It's just that on the ipad you need to perform various
cumbersome extra steps (like uploading to and downloading from
dropbox) to accomplish a simple objective like opening an svg
file in some app.
nospam
nope.
sobriquet
2015-06-09 23:24:35 UTC
Post by sobriquet
There is no issue to resolve. I can get the svg file into any app
I want. It's just that on the ipad you need to perform various
cumbersome extra steps (like uploading to and downloading from
dropbox) to accomplish a simple objective like opening an svg
file in some app.
nope.
The most easy way I've found so far is to use the mercury browser,
which allows one to save the svg file on the ipad into the files
section of the mercury browser and subsequently I have to export it
to dropbox and finally I can import it from dropbox into inkpad
and finally, from inkpad, I can copy it and paste it into PS Touch.

So it works on the ipad, you just have to jump through a few extra
hoops (compared to android).
Michelle Steiner
Not unable, but unwilling to bother, because it is you.
Michelle Steiner
2015-06-10 02:16:19 UTC
Why should any of us lift even one finger to help *you*?
sobriquet
2015-06-10 10:08:11 UTC
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by sobriquet
So, show me where the ipad can store svg files so I can open them
with PS Touch like I can do on my android smartphone.
Why should any of us lift even one finger to help *you*?
It's not a matter of helping me.. I don't need any help. I'm just
challenging the apple fanboys to show me how they can accomplish a
simple task on the ipad.
But of course they can't show me how to do it, because there is no
simple way to do it on the ipad and by contrast there is a simple
way on the android device to accomplish that simple task.

Just to illustrate that the ipad is frequently not quite as
convenient and straightforward to use than an android device
because of all kinds of idiotic restrictions of ios.
nospam
2015-06-10 12:52:55 UTC
Post by sobriquet
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by sobriquet
So, show me where the ipad can store svg files so I can open them
with PS Touch like I can do on my android smartphone.
Why should any of us lift even one finger to help *you*?
It's not a matter of helping me.. I don't need any help.
oh yes you do
Post by sobriquet
I'm just
challenging the apple fanboys to show me how they can accomplish a
simple task on the ipad.
already explained.
wrong.
sobriquet
2015-06-10 15:39:03 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by sobriquet
Post by sobriquet
I'm just
challenging the apple fanboys to show me how they can accomplish a
simple task on the ipad.
already explained.
Your rambling about apps having 'sharing enabled' doesn't explain
anything.

You're just unwilling to acknowledge the obvious limitations of
ios that are evident from the way svg files can simply be stored
and opened on an android device, while you need all kinds or
special trickery (like dropbox) to perform the same task on ios.

The fact that you can still use svg files via dropbox on the
ipad also shows the idiotic nature of the restrictions of the
ios system. Since there is no plausible explanation for the
reason why you need to resort to cloud storage to work with
svg files on the ipad.

If the use of svg files was restricted on the ios system because
of a security issue associated with svg files, you'd expect
the ipad to refuse svg files from dropbox just the same.
wrong.
Michelle Steiner
2015-06-10 16:28:25 UTC
Post by sobriquet
Your rambling about apps having 'sharing enabled' doesn't explain
anything.
It explains *everything*. Like most Apple antagonists, you blame Apple
for the shortcomings of the application developer.
Post by sobriquet
The fact that you can still use svg files via dropbox on the
ipad also shows the idiotic nature of the restrictions of the
ios system. Since there is no plausible explanation for the
reason why you need to resort to cloud storage to work with
svg files on the ipad.
Anytime you transfer files between devices using WiFi, you're using
cloud storage, even if it is fleeting and temporary.
Post by sobriquet
If the use of svg files was restricted on the ios system because
of a security issue associated with svg files, you'd expect
the ipad to refuse svg files from dropbox just the same.
Red herring or straw man (I often get the two confused, but your
argument is definitely one of them.)
nospam
2015-06-10 19:21:19 UTC
Post by sobriquet
Post by nospam
Post by sobriquet
I'm just
challenging the apple fanboys to show me how they can accomplish a
simple task on the ipad.
already explained.
Your rambling about apps having 'sharing enabled' doesn't explain
anything.
yes it does.
Post by sobriquet
You're just unwilling to acknowledge the obvious limitations of
ios that are evident from the way svg files can simply be stored
and opened on an android device, while you need all kinds or
special trickery (like dropbox) to perform the same task on ios.
nope. no special trickery is required.

i write ios apps and i know how it can be done.

you're just spewing out of ignorance.
Post by sobriquet
The fact that you can still use svg files via dropbox on the
ipad also shows the idiotic nature of the restrictions of the
ios system. Since there is no plausible explanation for the
reason why you need to resort to cloud storage to work with
svg files on the ipad.
the explanation is very easy: you're an idiot who refuses to learn.
Post by sobriquet
If the use of svg files was restricted on the ios system because
of a security issue associated with svg files, you'd expect
the ipad to refuse svg files from dropbox just the same.
it has nothing to do with svg files.

Michelle Steiner
2015-06-10 16:23:48 UTC
Post by sobriquet
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by sobriquet
So, show me where the ipad can store svg files so I can open them
with PS Touch like I can do on my android smartphone.
Why should any of us lift even one finger to help *you*?
It's not a matter of helping me.. I don't need any help.
Yeah, right.
Post by sobriquet
I'm just challenging the apple fanboys to show me how they can
accomplish a simple task on the ipad.
Why should we bother? What would we gain?
Post by sobriquet
Just to illustrate that the ipad is frequently not quite as
convenient and straightforward to use than an android device
because of all kinds of idiotic restrictions of ios.
You consider a minor edge case that affects hardly anyone at all to be
"frequently"?
sobriquet
http://pastebin.com/FJz8bNsv
Zaidy036
2015-06-10 14:58:33 UTC
Post by sobriquet
Post by Mark F
How do get iCloud Backup and SanDisk iXpand to backup/copy arbitrary
files on my iPad?
<snip>
Post by sobriquet
Try saving an svg image on the ipad... it just doesn't work.
does this help?
http://www.syncios.com/ipad-transfer.html
sobriquet
2015-06-10 15:31:21 UTC
Post by Zaidy036
Post by sobriquet
Try saving an svg image on the ipad... it just doesn't work.
does this help?
http://www.syncios.com/ipad-transfer.html
Apps can't overcome the limitations inherent in the ios
system. No matter what apps you install, it will not allow you
to save svg files on the device in a location that is accessible
to all apps.

That's why you will only find solutions online that involve
some cloud storage service like dropbox, where there are
no limitations regarding storing svg files.

But then you will need an app that can interface with dropbox
and while inkpad will import svg files from dropbox, ps touch
can only access the creative cloud storage space and dropbox
and creative cloud don't seem to like each other very much
(so there is no convenient way to get files from dropbox
into the creative cloud).
nospam
wrong.
Mark F
2015-06-10 01:30:13 UTC
Post by Mark F
How do get iCloud Backup and SanDisk iXpand to backup/copy arbitrary
files on my iPad?
I have downloaded a bunch of files in Azul Media Player, but I don't
see a way to select them for back in iCloud Backup or copy using a
SanDisk iXpand memory key with its iXpand Sync software.
Music, Photos, Videos, and a couple of other places, but not
an arbitrary place or where Azul Media Player puts them by default
Photos, Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Safari, Notes, and
Keychain, but again not arbitrary or specifically where Azul Media
Player puts them.
My mistake: iCloud Backup was backing up things from Azul, but I
didn't dig deep enough:
Setting line iCloud < Storage
(make sure Wi-Fi connected first) > Manage Storage
Backups > {This iPad}
"BACKUP OPTIONS" seems to have all of the files for all of the
apps show in "Next Backup Size"

So, things evidentially will get backed up if they weren't
already backed up.

I will wait until I delete all of the Azul files in my downloads
and then see what happens to the "This iPad" "Backup Size" and my
total space used.
(I think that "Next Backup Size" will decrease by the 17.4 GB that
Azul has now to about 200MB which is everything else. I will
then see what happens to "Backup Size" and my space available.
[I think the space available won't decrease until 3 backups after
I have deleted all of the files in Azul. If so, one of my
original questions still stands: How to you recover files that you
deleted accidentally?)