What is the EASIEST way to get a spreadsheet from Linux to iPad & Android
jamie
2015-04-01 14:50:44 UTC
I have a csv text spreadsheet that I maintain on Linux that I wish to
start using on Android and iOS.

The master will remain on Linux; but may be updated from the others.

What's the EASIEST way to transfer it TO and FROM the mobile devices?
David Taylor
2015-04-01 15:11:34 UTC
Post by jamie
I have a csv text spreadsheet that I maintain on Linux that I wish to
start using on Android and iOS.
The master will remain on Linux; but may be updated from the others.
What's the EASIEST way to transfer it TO and FROM the mobile devices?
DropBox - if there is a Linux version. You can get MS Office free on
Android and iOS.
--
Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
chris
2015-04-01 19:30:27 UTC
Post by David Taylor
Post by jamie
I have a csv text spreadsheet that I maintain on Linux that I wish to
start using on Android and iOS.
The master will remain on Linux; but may be updated from the others.
What's the EASIEST way to transfer it TO and FROM the mobile devices?
DropBox - if there is a Linux version. You can get MS Office free on
Android and iOS.
+1 - there is a linux version.

You don't need MS Office to read/edit a csv file. A text editor is enough.
Chas Davis
2015-04-02 00:27:22 UTC
Why not use iTunes, like everybody else?
Chris Ahlstrom
2015-04-02 00:34:41 UTC
Post by Chas Davis
Post by David Taylor
DropBox - if there is a Linux version. You can get MS Office free on
Android and iOS.
Why not use iTunes, like everybody else?
iTunes? Never used it. Is that some kind of "office suite"?
--
Youth -- not a time of life but a state of mind... a predominance of
courage over timidity, of the appetite for adventure over the love of ease.
-- Robert F. Kennedy
Ant
2015-04-02 02:19:24 UTC
Post by Chas Davis
Post by David Taylor
DropBox - if there is a Linux version. You can get MS Office free on
Android and iOS.
Why not use iTunes, like everybody else?
In Linux and Android?
--
"God is a mean kid sitting on an ant-hill with a magnifying glass, and
I'm the ant." --Bruce Nolan (Bruce Almighty movie)
"Push It To The Limit" from the Motion Picture "Scarface"
The Real Bev
2015-04-02 03:22:47 UTC
Post by Chas Davis
Post by David Taylor
DropBox - if there is a Linux version. You can get MS Office free on
Android and iOS.
Why not use iTunes, like everybody else?
Isn't that sort of like "Let them eat cake"?
--
Cheers, Bev
"Let them eat shit."
-- Marcel Antoinette, Marie's little-known brother
Big_Al
2015-04-01 17:07:19 UTC
Post by jamie
I have a csv text spreadsheet that I maintain on Linux that I wish to
start using on Android and iOS.
The master will remain on Linux; but may be updated from the others.
What's the EASIEST way to transfer it TO and FROM the mobile devices?
Google Drive on android/windows/linux.
I found Linux is called grive I think. You'd think gdrive but I think the d was missing. It was in the standard
install program. I'm not on linux so I can't be more informative than that. I push everything around on google drive.
John Varela
2015-04-01 21:19:20 UTC
bluetooth is by far the easiest transfer method.
Dave Liquorice
2015-04-01 22:36:58 UTC
Post by John Varela
bluetooth is by far the easiest transfer method.
Is the Linux on a PC? They tend not to have Bluetooth...

WiFi and ordinary file shareing is simpler IMHO.
--
Cheers
Dave.
The Real Bev
2015-04-01 21:50:46 UTC
Post by jamie
Post by John Varela
bluetooth is by far the easiest transfer method.
Is the Linux on a PC? They tend not to have Bluetooth...
I ordered a tiny bluetooth dongle a couple of years ago from one of the
Chinese mail order places for $2. I probably didn't have to do anything
special (or I'd have remembered it, sort of) and it worked fine. I
haven't used it since I tested it and it's SOMEWHERE in one of my Safe
Places...
Post by jamie
WiFi and ordinary file shareing is simpler IMHO.
--
Cheers, Bev
"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level.
It's cheaper." -- Quentin Crisp 1908 - 1999
Chris Ahlstrom
2015-04-02 00:14:07 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
Post by jamie
Post by John Varela
bluetooth is by far the easiest transfer method.
Is the Linux on a PC? They tend not to have Bluetooth...
I ordered a tiny bluetooth dongle a couple of years ago from one of the
Chinese mail order places for $2. I probably didn't have to do anything
special (or I'd have remembered it, sort of) and it worked fine. I
haven't used it since I tested it and it's SOMEWHERE in one of my Safe
Places...
I bought a Targus bluetooth dongle at Office Depot, and keep it around.
I'm using right now on a new laptop. But, from what I've been reading in
the Linux kernel mailing list, version 4.0 should obviate that dongle on
this machine. Still useful for my older desktop, though.

I use a General Electric (!) / Jasco bluetooth keyboard that I found at
Target for $40. It's great for Linux and is my favorite keyboard. I use it
all day at work and it holds up well.
--
We wish you a Hare Krishna
We wish you a Hare Krishna
-- Maxwell Smart
tlvp
2015-04-02 06:57:15 UTC
... in one of my Safe
Places...
You mean, under a couch cushion :-) ? Cheers, -- tlvp
The Real Bev
2015-04-02 17:15:37 UTC
Post by tlvp
... in one of my Safe Places...
You mean, under a couch cushion :-) ? Cheers, -- tlvp
Nope. It's in a plastic box within arm's reach. The problem is WHICH
plastic box and how much crap I have to move out of the way to get to
it. One of these days...
--
Cheers, Bev
"If you were trying to be offensive, you would have succeeded if I
-- FernandoP
Dave Liquorice
2015-04-02 09:26:47 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
I ordered a tiny bluetooth dongle a couple of years ago from one of the
Chinese mail order places for $2. I probably didn't have to do anything
special (or I'd have remembered it, sort of) and it worked fine.
I got a dongle years ago was a right pain to set up and use. You
couldn't just connect, browse, drag 'n drop. Things have probably
moved on...

Bluetooth is fine provided both devices have the required "profile"
for what you want to do, if one hasn't you're stuffed.
--
Cheers
Dave.
jamie
2015-04-02 14:28:56 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Bluetooth is fine provided both devices have the required "profile"
for what you want to do, if one hasn't you're stuffed.
I am still trying to get the iPad to recognize the laptop and vice versa.
I don't know why it doesn't.

Anyone have experience setting up the iPad with bluetooth to talk to
Linux? Any suggestions?
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 15:00:56 UTC
Post by jamie
Post by Dave Liquorice
Bluetooth is fine provided both devices have the required "profile"
for what you want to do, if one hasn't you're stuffed.
I am still trying to get the iPad to recognize the laptop and vice versa.
I don't know why it doesn't.
Anyone have experience setting up the iPad with bluetooth to talk to
Linux? Any suggestions?
The iPad requires Windows or OS X, and Linux is not supported. If you
were using it with a computer running OS X you wouldn't be having so
much trouble. You're using it wrong. You seem to want an Android tablet
instead. : )

JR
jamie
2015-04-02 15:15:54 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
The iPad requires Windows or OS X, and Linux is not supported. If you
were using it with a computer running OS X you wouldn't be having so
much trouble. You're using it wrong. You seem to want an Android tablet
instead. : )
It's bluetooth, which is independent, I thought, of the operating system.

Why would iPad bluetooth be different than Linux bluetooth?
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 15:22:01 UTC
Post by jamie
Post by Jolly Roger
The iPad requires Windows or OS X, and Linux is not supported. If you
were using it with a computer running OS X you wouldn't be having so
much trouble. You're using it wrong. You seem to want an Android tablet
instead. : )
It's bluetooth, which is independent, I thought, of the operating system.
Why would iPad bluetooth be different than Linux bluetooth?
iOS doesn't expose the file system to users, because better things have
replaced those old methodologies. Since iOS users don't need access to
the file system, there's no reason to expose the file system to the
Bluetooth interface. When iOS users want to work on a document such as a
spreadsheet on multiple devices, they simply save the document to
iCloud, and the document is automatically and instantly available on all
of their devices. No futzing around with file transfers, file copies,
sync scripts, and so on. It just works the way a modern OS should work,
and lets you get on with life.

JR
notbob
2015-04-02 15:28:17 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
iOS doesn't expose the file system to users, because better things have
replaced those old methodologies.
The replacing of "old methodologies" is something I decide, not my
computer, thank you very much. ;)

nb
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 15:31:34 UTC
Post by notbob
Post by Jolly Roger
iOS doesn't expose the file system to users, because better things have
replaced those old methodologies.
The replacing of "old methodologies" is something I decide, not my
computer, thank you very much. ;)
You decide by not purchasing a product that uses newer methodologies in
place of your grandfather's methodologies, don't you? Otherwise, you are
only setting yourself up for failure, which would be silly.

JR
Dave Liquorice
2015-04-02 18:05:57 UTC
When iOS users want to work on a document such as a spreadsheet on
multiple devices, they simply save the document to iCloud, and ...
What happens if you haven't an internet connection and you wish to
have this file on another device? G or 3G is very iffy here, have to
be upstairs by a window on the right side of the house, like wise for
phone calls, I divert to the landline... Less than 100 yds down the
road there is no mobile coverage at all.
It just works the way a modern OS should work, and lets you get on with
life.
Or not when there is no internet...
--
Cheers
Dave.
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 17:49:39 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
When iOS users want to work on a document such as a spreadsheet on
multiple devices, they simply save the document to iCloud, and ...
What happens if you haven't an internet connection and you wish to
have this file on another device?
I'm never without an internet connection when I doing such things. If
I'm not on a WiFi network, I'm on an LTE/3G network.
Post by Dave Liquorice
G or 3G is very iffy here, have to
be upstairs by a window on the right side of the house, like wise for
phone calls, I divert to the landline... Less than 100 yds down the
road there is no mobile coverage at all.
Sounds like mobile devices many not be a good fit for you then.
Post by Dave Liquorice
It just works the way a modern OS should work, and lets you get on with
life.
Or not when there is no internet...
iOS is called a mobile OS for a reason...

And you're being silly.

JR
The Real Bev
2015-04-02 19:38:12 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
G or 3G is very iffy here, have to
be upstairs by a window on the right side of the house, like wise for
phone calls, I divert to the landline... Less than 100 yds down the
road there is no mobile coverage at all.
Sounds like mobile devices many not be a good fit for you then.
Not at all. I rarely use the $10/year T-Mobile cell minutes, but I use
the rest of the phone when I have wifi access. GPS doesn't need either
cell or wifi. It would be nice to have a data plan, but I would use it
so infrequently that even the cheapest one would be overkill.

Is anyone in the civilized world EVER more than a mile away from a
McDonald's or a Starbuck's for hangouts/wifi calls?
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Dave Liquorice
It just works the way a modern OS should work, and lets you get on with
life.
Or not when there is no internet...
iOS is called a mobile OS for a reason...
And you're being silly.
Different requirements...
--
Cheers,
Bev
afford lots more prosecution than we can afford defense.
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 20:00:18 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Jolly Roger
Sounds like mobile devices many not be a good fit for you then.
Not at all.
Well it certainly sounds that way to me.
Post by The Real Bev
Is anyone in the civilized world EVER more than a mile away from a
McDonald's or a Starbuck's for hangouts/wifi calls?
I haven't seen the inside of a McDonald's or Starbucks in decades,
literally. And I rarely use a stranger's WiFi access point.

JR
Lewis
2015-04-02 22:21:29 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by The Real Bev
Is anyone in the civilized world EVER more than a mile away from a
McDonald's or a Starbuck's for hangouts/wifi calls?
I haven't seen the inside of a McDonald's or Starbucks in decades,
That was not the question.
--
There's a race of men that don't fit in, A race that can't stay still So
they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will.
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 22:29:22 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by The Real Bev
Is anyone in the civilized world EVER more than a mile away from a
McDonald's or a Starbuck's for hangouts/wifi calls?
I haven't seen the inside of a McDonald's or Starbucks in decades,
That was not the question.
I kind of figured logic would dictate that if I haven't entered them, I
also likely do not hang out near enough to them to use their WiFi access
points. ; )

JR
Savageduck
2015-04-02 20:30:16 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
Is anyone in the civilized world EVER more than a mile away from a
McDonald's or a Starbuck's for hangouts/wifi calls?
Yes.
--
Regards,

Savageduck
The Real Bev
2015-04-02 19:30:17 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by jamie
Post by Jolly Roger
[...]
Nothing to see here, Citizen, move along.
We're from [powerful entity], we're here to help.
Don't you worry your sweet pretty little head about things like that.
Math is HAAAARD.
Lewis
2015-04-02 22:17:07 UTC
Post by jamie
Post by Dave Liquorice
Bluetooth is fine provided both devices have the required "profile"
for what you want to do, if one hasn't you're stuffed.
I am still trying to get the iPad to recognize the laptop and vice versa.
I don't know why it doesn't.
Anyone have experience setting up the iPad with bluetooth to talk to
Linux? Any suggestions?
Linux is not supported. Stop trying to use your iPad with linux.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOFU>
jamie
2015-04-02 22:32:48 UTC
Post by Lewis
Linux is not supported. Stop trying to use your iPad with linux.
Based on what someone said, bluetooth file transfer is what is not
supported, since bluetooth has nothing to do with Linux.

Apparently bluetooth file transfer is only supported between a very
closed system of just Apple proprietary devices.

If that's true, the lack of bluetooth file transfer has nothing to do
with Linux since bluetooth isn't a Linux thing (every modern operating
system should be able to transfer files with bluetooth).
Tony Cito
2015-04-01 22:19:58 UTC
What wrong with simple USB wire?
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 01:30:22 UTC
Post by Tony Cito
Post by Dave Liquorice
WiFi and ordinary file shareing is simpler IMHO.
What wrong with simple USB wire?
I can't speak for everyone, but some of us dislike the idea of lugging a
USB cable with us everywhere we go. Personally, I would rather not have
a cable at all. Apple's tools let you get shit done without cables to a
far greater extent than competitors.

JR
Tony Cito
2015-04-02 01:32:15 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
I can't speak for everyone, but some of us dislike the idea of lugging a
USB cable with us everywhere we go. Personally, I would rather not have
a cable at all. Apple's tools let you get shit done without cables to a
far greater extent than competitors.
That's a joke.
The Apple tools only work with Apple products.
They suck at working with Android, and they really suck at working with
Linux.

Conversely, Android works fine with Linux, and vice versa.

So the OP's biggest problem will be the Apple devices.
Mark my words.

When it comes to connectivity, everything will work except the Apple
equipment.
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 01:59:14 UTC
Post by Tony Cito
Post by Jolly Roger
I can't speak for everyone, but some of us dislike the idea of lugging a
USB cable with us everywhere we go. Personally, I would rather not have
a cable at all. Apple's tools let you get shit done without cables to a
far greater extent than competitors.
That's a joke.
Nope, it's the truth.
Post by Tony Cito
The Apple tools only work with Apple products.
Bullshit.
Post by Tony Cito
They suck at working with Android, and they really suck at working with
Linux.
Bullshit. I use Apple products with all sorts of other operating systems
including Linux, and I've used them with Android as well. Hasn't
presented an obstacle to me. Must be you.
Post by Tony Cito
Conversely, Android works fine with Linux, and vice versa.
For various definitions of "fine", sure. : )
Post by Tony Cito
So the OP's biggest problem will be the Apple devices.
Mark my words.
And those who can't appreciate, denigrate. ; )
Post by Tony Cito
When it comes to connectivity, everything will work except the Apple
equipment.
Only if he tries to shoe-horn his grandfather's computing practices into
iOS rather than using it the way it's meant to be used: as a modern
mobile OS. Meanwhile, the rest of us who have given it a try know
better. : )

JR
Lewis
2015-04-02 14:07:59 UTC
Post by Tony Cito
Post by Jolly Roger
I can't speak for everyone, but some of us dislike the idea of lugging a
USB cable with us everywhere we go. Personally, I would rather not have
a cable at all. Apple's tools let you get shit done without cables to a
far greater extent than competitors.
That's a joke.
The Apple tools only work with Apple products.
They suck at working with Android, and they really suck at working with
Linux.
Repeating your idiocy doesn't make it any more correct.
Exit, pursued by a bear.
Dave Liquorice
2015-04-02 09:17:02 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Tony Cito
Post by Dave Liquorice
WiFi and ordinary file shareing is simpler IMHO.
What wrong with simple USB wire?
I can't speak for everyone, but some of us dislike the idea of lugging a
USB cable with us everywhere we go.
So you don't carry a charger? Most chargers these days are just USB
power supplies that you plug the USB lead into.

Would USB work between iOS and Android devices? Even if you had an
OTG adapter for the Android?
--
Cheers
Dave.
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 12:54:55 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Tony Cito
Post by Dave Liquorice
WiFi and ordinary file shareing is simpler IMHO.
What wrong with simple USB wire?
I can't speak for everyone, but some of us dislike the idea of lugging a
USB cable with us everywhere we go.
So you don't carry a charger? Most chargers these days are just USB
power supplies that you plug the USB lead into.
Everywhere I go? Nope. No need.

JR
Lewis
2015-04-02 14:09:12 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Tony Cito
Post by Dave Liquorice
WiFi and ordinary file shareing is simpler IMHO.
What wrong with simple USB wire?
I can't speak for everyone, but some of us dislike the idea of lugging a
USB cable with us everywhere we go.
So you don't carry a charger?
No. Why would I?
--
U is for UNA who slipped down a drain
V is for VICTOR squashed by a train
The Real Bev
2015-04-02 17:17:56 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Tony Cito
Post by Dave Liquorice
WiFi and ordinary file shareing is simpler IMHO.
What wrong with simple USB wire?
I can't speak for everyone, but some of us dislike the idea of lugging a
USB cable with us everywhere we go.
So you don't carry a charger?
No. Why would I?
I keep one in my car. If I'm taking my BIG purse I carry a selection of
cables, chargers, earphones, extra sd cards, extra batteries...
-- FernandoP
Lewis
2015-04-02 22:03:54 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Lewis
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Tony Cito
Post by Dave Liquorice
WiFi and ordinary file shareing is simpler IMHO.
What wrong with simple USB wire?
I can't speak for everyone, but some of us dislike the idea of lugging a
USB cable with us everywhere we go.
So you don't carry a charger?
No. Why would I?
I keep one in my car. If I'm taking my BIG purse I carry a selection of
cables, chargers, earphones, extra sd cards, extra batteries...
I have a car charger in the car. It would not help me to carry it.
I don't need no stinking taglines.
nospam
what for? the battery lasts 1-2 days.
Dave Liquorice
2015-04-02 23:10:05 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Dave Liquorice
So you don't carry a charger? Most chargers these days are just USB
power supplies that you plug the USB lead into.
what for? the battery lasts 1-2 days.
And if you are away for 3 days plus? I'm lucky to get a day at home,
naff coverage so poor phone is constantly logging in at full power as
people move about the room... Once into saturation coverage in urban
areas battery life shoots up.
--
Cheers
Dave.
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 22:19:24 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by nospam
Post by Dave Liquorice
power supplies that you plug the USB lead into.
what for? the battery lasts 1-2 days.
And if you are away for 3 days plus? I'm lucky to get a day at home,
naff coverage so poor phone is constantly logging in at full power as
people move about the room... Once into saturation coverage in urban
areas battery life shoots up.
Where are you going with this, exactly? Are you saying we should all
carry USB cables wherever we go so that we can use them to transfer
files over USB like our grandfather did, just on the off chance we just
might find ourselves suddenly unable to go home for three days so we
need to recharge our phones from some place else - even though we can
already transfer content easier and faster with iOS over Bluetooth and
WiFi?

JR
nospam
2015-04-02 22:41:22 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Post by nospam
Post by Dave Liquorice
So you don't carry a charger? Most chargers these days are just
power supplies that you plug the USB lead into.
what for? the battery lasts 1-2 days.
And if you are away for 3 days plus?
how often does that actually happen?

if you plan to be away for that long, you will need to pack a lot more
more than just a charger, like clothes, toothbrush, etc.
Post by Dave Liquorice
I'm lucky to get a day at home,
plenty of power outlets at home.
jamie
2015-04-02 01:15:08 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Is the Linux on a PC? They tend not to have Bluetooth...
I like the simplicity of Bluetooth since I don't need the net
and I don't want to always have a wire (and iOS doesn't do
wire transfers as gracefully as Android does - so the iOS
device is the limiting factor).

The Linux is a PC which used to run Windows but is now KDE,
which has Bluetooth settings at
"System Settings > Network and Connectivity > Bluetooth".

The only problem is that it seems to recognize everything *but*
the iPad!

This is what it looks like on Linux with the iPad near by:

The iPad definitely has its bluetooth turned on.
The PC is definitely set to be discoverable.
The iPad forever says "Searching" & "Now Discoverable".

But, no go.

The iPad works fine with a Motorola Bluetooth Speaker in the car.
The iPad works fine with a Motorola H700 earpiece also.

The iPad just won't (yet) talk to Linux on Bluetooth.

Is there something special that has to be done to make the iPad
Bluetooth work with Linux Bluetooth?
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 01:28:13 UTC
Post by jamie
Post by John Varela
bluetooth is by far the easiest transfer method.
Is the Linux on a PC? They tend not to have Bluetooth...
All Apple computers and mobile devices have Bluetooth built in. No need
for silly dongles.
Post by jamie
WiFi and ordinary file shareing is simpler IMHO.
I like it when WiFi and Bluetooth work together ala Continuity, AirDrop,
and iCloud.

JR
Tony Cito
2015-04-02 01:30:28 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
All Apple computers and mobile devices have Bluetooth built in.
No need for silly dongles.
All my mobile devices, including the Linux laptop, have bluetooth
built in. Pretty much any laptop built in the last few years has
bluetooth built in, so, it's not just an Apple thing.
Apple never works well with other systems.
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 01:54:04 UTC
Post by Tony Cito
Post by Jolly Roger
All Apple computers and mobile devices have Bluetooth built in.
No need for silly dongles.
All my mobile devices, including the Linux laptop, have bluetooth
built in. Pretty much any laptop built in the last few years has
bluetooth built in, so, it's not just an Apple thing.
Didn't say it was. : )
Post by Tony Cito
Post by Jolly Roger
I like it when WiFi and Bluetooth work together ala Continuity, AirDrop,
and iCloud.
Apple never works well with other systems.
From someone who uses OS X, Windows, Linux, and Solaris almost daily:
Bullshit.

JR
mike
2015-04-01 22:44:13 UTC
Post by John Varela
Post by jamie
What's the EASIEST way to transfer it TO and FROM the mobile devices?
bluetooth is by far the easiest transfer method.
My neighbor wanted an iPAD, so I did some research on that
question.
The answer always came back, "email it".
John Varela
2015-04-02 01:21:36 UTC
My neighbor wanted an iPAD, so I did some research on that question.
The answer always came back, "email it".
Even though it's the iPAD, which is the hardest system to use of
all, you can get it to work over usb wire and bluetooth. It's just a
PITA because Apple doesn't want you to be able to use other devices
so they make it hard on purpose.

The users all are brainwashed to think it's a "security" thing, but
that's BS. There's no need to prevent wire transfers, especially
since you can set the security in bluetooth any way you like.

So what you have to do is find a non-Apple app that accepts files
(pretty much all the Apple apps are useless anyway) and then you
just put the file in the private space of that non Apple app.

I do it with usb but I've never tried it with bluetooth, which seems
like the easiest way to do a file transfer at home.
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 02:04:01 UTC
Post by John Varela
My neighbor wanted an iPAD, so I did some research on that question.
The answer always came back, "email it".
Even though it's the iPAD, which is the hardest system to use of
all
Works fine for me, and lets me do things way faster than with the
competition. Must be you. : )
Post by John Varela
you can get it to work over usb wire and bluetooth. It's just a
PITA because Apple doesn't want you to be able to use other devices
so they make it hard on purpose.
Riiiiight. Meanwhile it presents no obstacles to the rest of us. Gee, I
wonder why we can get shit done with so little effort compared to you?
It's almost as if you are using it wrong or something. : )
Post by John Varela
The users all are brainwashed to think it's a "security" thing, but
that's BS.
Nah, we just find them useful because we know how thy work.
Post by John Varela
There's no need to prevent wire transfers, especially
since you can set the security in bluetooth any way you like.
Spoken like a true Linux dweeb. Whoosh!
Post by John Varela
So what you have to do is find a non-Apple app that accepts files
(pretty much all the Apple apps are useless anyway)
LOL! Pure comedy. : )
Post by John Varela
and then you
just put the file in the private space of that non Apple app.
Meanwhile the rest of us don't have to do any of that bullshit because
we know how it works when you use it the way it was meant to be used. So
all of that bullshit is removed from the user experience, and instead what
you want just happens. : )
Post by John Varela
I do it with usb but I've never tried it with bluetooth, which seems
like the easiest way to do a file transfer at home.
Again, the easiest is iCloud with all Apple devices. It works like magic
for the most part with no additional effort on your part. : )

JR
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 01:08:50 UTC
Post by John Varela
Post by jamie
What's the EASIEST way to transfer it TO and FROM the mobile devices?
bluetooth is by far the easiest transfer method.
Far easier than that is iCloud, where once you store the file there,
it's automatically available on all of you computers and devices from
that point on, real time changes and all.

(It's not completely relevant to the OP's question, though since you
have to use iOS or OS X, and Apple's Numbers app, to do it though. : )

JR
Tony Cito
2015-04-02 01:30:23 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Far easier than that is iCloud, where once you store the file there,
Why would anyone want to store their personal files on the Internet
when there is absolutely no reason to store them on the Internet?

You just want to transfer them to a device a few feet away.
Do you make everything this complicated?
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 01:52:32 UTC
Post by Tony Cito
Post by Jolly Roger
Far easier than that is iCloud, where once you store the file there,
Why would anyone want to store their personal files on the Internet
when there is absolutely no reason to store them on the Internet?
I could have sworn I just described a very good reason. I guess you just
don't appreciate it, which would make sense if you have never
experienced it.

BTW, I didn't say I store *everything* on iCloud, but I have learned
enough about how it works to know it's plenty secure for a lot of stuff.
And if I really wanted to store anything *really* sensitive there, I'd
simply create an encrypted disk image to throw up there, which would be
quite secure. The internet is a tool, not an enemy.
Post by Tony Cito
You just want to transfer them to a device a few feet away.
Do you make everything this complicated?
That's pretty funny considering there is *nothing* at all complicated
about it, since it happens automatically without any additional effort
on my part. I simply save the spreadsheet, and OS X and iOS do all the
rest automatically, all like magic. I can edit it on my phone one minute
and three seconds later sit down at my computer and it's right there in
front of me. If you've never experienced it I'm sure you say to
yourself, "No way is it like he describes without tons of setup and
whatever". (Linux users in particular are often the ones who seem to
make such assumptions.) The funny thing is you are very wrong. It works
exactly that way, and it's bad ass. : )

JR
Tony Cito
2015-04-02 01:54:18 UTC
How is Android/Linux going to access the iCloud?
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 02:07:19 UTC
Post by Tony Cito
Post by Jolly Roger
That's pretty funny considering there is *nothing* at all complicated
about it, since it happens automatically without any additional effort
on my part.
How is Android/Linux going to access the iCloud?
I already told you that it's mostly irrelevant to the OP's question
since it requires all Apple operating systems. Apparently you've already
forgotten, or you feel compelled to make a point of making me repeat
myself. Never the less, it works as I described, and *is* in fact easier
than your grandfather's Bluetooth and WiFi file transfers. : )

JR
David Empson
2015-04-02 02:28:56 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Tony Cito
Post by Jolly Roger
That's pretty funny considering there is *nothing* at all complicated
about it, since it happens automatically without any additional effort
on my part.
How is Android/Linux going to access the iCloud?
I already told you that it's mostly irrelevant to the OP's question
since it requires all Apple operating systems.
Or Windows (7 and later).

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1455

This gives access to iCloud Drive (if it is enabled for the account).
--
David Empson
***@actrix.gen.nz
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 12:52:58 UTC
Post by David Empson
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Tony Cito
Post by Jolly Roger
That's pretty funny considering there is *nothing* at all complicated
about it, since it happens automatically without any additional effort
on my part.
How is Android/Linux going to access the iCloud?
I already told you that it's mostly irrelevant to the OP's question
since it requires all Apple operating systems.
Or Windows (7 and later).
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1455
This gives access to iCloud Drive (if it is enabled for the account).
Oh, right. Good catch.

JR
Lewis
2015-04-02 03:09:35 UTC
Post by Tony Cito
Post by Jolly Roger
Far easier than that is iCloud, where once you store the file there,
Why would anyone want to store their personal files on the Internet
when there is absolutely no reason to store them on the Internet?
Why not?
Post by Tony Cito
You just want to transfer them to a device a few feet away.
Do you make everything this complicated?
It's not complicated.
--
Well I've seen the Heart of Darkness/Read the writing on the wall/and the
voice out in the desert/Was the voice out in the hall
The Real Bev
2015-04-02 03:34:42 UTC
Post by Tony Cito
Post by Jolly Roger
Far easier than that is iCloud, where once you store the file there,
Why would anyone want to store their personal files on the Internet
when there is absolutely no reason to store them on the Internet?
I'd like my passwords, phone numbers (not just the ones in my 'Contacts'
list), and my 'notes' file to be accessible wherever I am. Easiest is
to have a script that copies the latest versions to a subdirectory which
I can just copy over to my phone or tablet. I should probably encrypt
the passwords text file.

Anybody have an opinion about SSE?
Post by Tony Cito
You just want to transfer them to a device a few feet away.
Do you make everything this complicated?
I can see why fingerprint-passwords would be a good thing -- nothing to
remember, provided android saves ALL your passwords so you never have to
look at the text file you keep Just In Case. OTOH, the one at the gym
malfunctions perhaps 10% of the time. How horrible to have it NOT work
on your smartphone.
--
Cheers, Bev
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken
Lewis
2015-04-02 14:12:04 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Tony Cito
Post by Jolly Roger
Far easier than that is iCloud, where once you store the file there,
Why would anyone want to store their personal files on the Internet
when there is absolutely no reason to store them on the Internet?
I'd like my passwords, phone numbers (not just the ones in my 'Contacts'
list), and my 'notes' file to be accessible wherever I am. Easiest is
to have a script that copies the latest versions to a subdirectory which
I can just copy over to my phone or tablet. I should probably encrypt
the passwords text file.
That is not nearly as easy as using iCloud to sync that data
continuously between all your devices.
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Tony Cito
You just want to transfer them to a device a few feet away.
Do you make everything this complicated?
I can see why fingerprint-passwords would be a good thing -- nothing to
remember, provided android saves ALL your passwords so you never have to
look at the text file you keep Just In Case.
Keeping your passwords in a text file is the very definition of
stupidity.
"If you can't do something smart, do something right."
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 14:59:06 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Tony Cito
Post by Jolly Roger
Far easier than that is iCloud, where once you store the file there,
Why would anyone want to store their personal files on the Internet
when there is absolutely no reason to store them on the Internet?
I'd like my passwords, phone numbers (not just the ones in my 'Contacts'
list), and my 'notes' file to be accessible wherever I am. Easiest is
to have a script that copies the latest versions to a subdirectory which
I can just copy over to my phone or tablet. I should probably encrypt
the passwords text file.
That is not nearly as easy as using iCloud to sync that data
continuously between all your devices.
Yep. Apple's iCloud Keychain is automatic and easier than anything that
has been mentioned so far in this thread. No silly file copies, no
opening spreadsheets, no copying passwords to the clipboard, no using
your grandfather's computing methodologies - just as it should be with
modern operating systems.

JR
The Real Bev
2015-04-02 17:30:07 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Tony Cito
Post by Jolly Roger
Far easier than that is iCloud, where once you store the file there,
Why would anyone want to store their personal files on the Internet
when there is absolutely no reason to store them on the Internet?
I'd like my passwords, phone numbers (not just the ones in my 'Contacts'
list), and my 'notes' file to be accessible wherever I am. Easiest is
to have a script that copies the latest versions to a subdirectory which
I can just copy over to my phone or tablet. I should probably encrypt
the passwords text file.
That is not nearly as easy as using iCloud to sync that data
continuously between all your devices.
That involves trusting iPeople with stuff I'd rather not trust them
with. Do android people have access to iCrap?
Post by Lewis
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Tony Cito
You just want to transfer them to a device a few feet away.
Do you make everything this complicated?
I can see why fingerprint-passwords would be a good thing -- nothing to
remember, provided android saves ALL your passwords so you never have to
look at the text file you keep Just In Case.
Keeping your passwords in a text file is the very definition of
stupidity.
Perhaps, but worrying about some miscreant breaking into my house and
finding the text file on my computer (do most low-end burglars
understand about the linux command line?) is pretty far down on my
paranoia list.

I don't like the idea of keeping the plain-text file on my phone, which
is why I wondered about SSE. Got an opinion?

I'm really unwilling to put a password on my phone -- having to feed in
a password whenever I want to use the phone is anathema. Besides, how
much do I trust the phone itself to NOT screw up the encryption?

I've had to do factory resets. Takes days to get back to where I was.
Backups are fairly useless; the stuff you really want backed up -- app
personalization, passwords -- don't EVER get backed up.

Got an opinion on that too?
-- FernandoP
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 17:56:41 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Lewis
That is not nearly as easy as using iCloud to sync that data
continuously between all your devices.
That involves trusting iPeople with stuff I'd rather not trust them
with.
Ohh... Yes, the "iPeople" are out to get you! : D
Post by The Real Bev
Do android people have access to iCrap?
You are so cute! Look at you with your "iCrap" joke! Gosh! : D

To answer your question: Since Linux users are hopelessly stuck in the
past, not so much, no.
Post by The Real Bev
I've had to do factory resets. Takes days to get back to where I was.
Backups are fairly useless; the stuff you really want backed up -- app
personalization, passwords -- don't EVER get backed up.
That's not at all true for iOS devices. All of that is backed up. And
reverting to factory sdefaults followed by restoring from a backup is as
simple as clicking a button and takes up to an hour or two, max,
depending on how much you have backed up. Couldn't be easier.
Post by The Real Bev
Got an opinion on that too?
You sound upset.

JR
The Real Bev
2015-04-02 19:47:15 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Lewis
That is not nearly as easy as using iCloud to sync that data
continuously between all your devices.
That involves trusting iPeople with stuff I'd rather not trust them
with.
Ohh... Yes, the "iPeople" are out to get you! : D
No, they just don't give a shit. I wouldn't expect them to. They
provide service/poducts that people either buy or don't buy. Rule 1 in
selling stuff is Don't Kill Your Customers.
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by The Real Bev
Do android people have access to iCrap?
You are so cute! Look at you with your "iCrap" joke! Gosh! : D
It's shorthand, deal with it.
Post by Jolly Roger
To answer your question: Since Linux users are hopelessly stuck in the
past, not so much, no.
Hey, I've paid my dues. I'm entitled.
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by The Real Bev
I've had to do factory resets. Takes days to get back to where I was.
Backups are fairly useless; the stuff you really want backed up -- app
personalization, passwords -- don't EVER get backed up.
That's not at all true for iOS devices. All of that is backed up. And
reverting to factory sdefaults followed by restoring from a backup is as
simple as clicking a button and takes up to an hour or two, max,
depending on how much you have backed up. Couldn't be easier.
The bottom line is that iEquipment is more expensive than
not-iEquipment. No question about it that it's really pretty, but not
worth the extra cash and being locked in to only one manufacturer.

We build our computers out of components, too. The idea of paying full
price for iStuff is beyond ridiculous.
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by The Real Bev
Got an opinion on that too?
You sound upset.
Oh christ, next thing you'll want to know is when I was toilet trained...
nospam
2015-04-02 20:03:52 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
The bottom line is that iEquipment is more expensive than
not-iEquipment.
not for equivalent specs it isn't, and in many cases, apple is cheaper.

here's one example: apple offers a mac *with* a 5k display for $2500,
while dell offers *just* a 5k display alone (no computer) for the same
$2500, and because of the retina imac, dell had to slash that price to
around 2000.

adding a comparable computer would easily be $1k so even with that
price cut it *still* costs more than the retina imac. keep in mind that
displayport does't support 5k so you would need dual video cards and
driver support to merge them, adding to the expense and hassle and it
still won't work with all software and certainly not linux.

for ios devices, the prices are comparable. a samsung galaxy phone is
$200 on contract and around $700-800 off contract, about the same as an
equivalent iphone. a galaxy note is a little more expensive than an
iphone. tablets are also around the same price ($50-100 difference in
either direction, completely irrelevant).
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 20:13:08 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by The Real Bev
Do android people have access to iCrap?
You are so cute! Look at you with your "iCrap" joke! Gosh! : D
It's shorthand, deal with it.
"iCrap" isn't shorthand for anything as far as I know. It's an obvious
troll. You should man up an own it.
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by The Real Bev
I've had to do factory resets. Takes days to get back to where I was.
Backups are fairly useless; the stuff you really want backed up -- app
personalization, passwords -- don't EVER get backed up.
That's not at all true for iOS devices. All of that is backed up. And
reverting to factory sdefaults followed by restoring from a backup is as
simple as clicking a button and takes up to an hour or two, max,
depending on how much you have backed up. Couldn't be easier.
The bottom line is that iEquipment is more expensive than
not-iEquipment.
Uh huh. Keep shifting those goal posts if you feel you must! And it's
not more expensive anyway - that's a tired, boring argument that has
been proven false many times over.
Post by The Real Bev
No question about it that it's really pretty, but not
worth the extra cash and being locked in to only one manufacturer.
That's exactly the type of response that I've come to expect from
someone who hasn't ever experienced the increase in productivity that
comes with them. Like I said, you can't truly appreciate a good user
experience until you've had the experience yourself. Your loss.
Post by The Real Bev
We build our computers out of components, too.i
You don't have a monopoly on that market, silly. I've built more PCs
than I care to count. : )
Post by The Real Bev
The idea of paying full price for iStuff is beyond ridiculous.
To limited people who cannot or will not see value in better user
experiences, sure.
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by The Real Bev
Got an opinion on that too?
You sound upset.
Oh christ, next thing you'll want to know is when I was toilet trained...
I am not in the slightest bit interested in your personal hygiene.

JR
Lewis
2015-04-02 22:09:39 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Lewis
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Tony Cito
Post by Jolly Roger
Far easier than that is iCloud, where once you store the file there,
Why would anyone want to store their personal files on the Internet
when there is absolutely no reason to store them on the Internet?
I'd like my passwords, phone numbers (not just the ones in my 'Contacts'
list), and my 'notes' file to be accessible wherever I am. Easiest is
to have a script that copies the latest versions to a subdirectory which
I can just copy over to my phone or tablet. I should probably encrypt
the passwords text file.
That is not nearly as easy as using iCloud to sync that data
continuously between all your devices.
That involves trusting iPeople with stuff I'd rather not trust them
with.
No it doesn't.
Post by The Real Bev
Perhaps, but worrying about some miscreant breaking into my house and
finding the text file on my computer (do most low-end burglars
understand about the linux command line?) is pretty far down on my
paranoia list.
Most miscreants will not need to enter your house to access your
computer.
Post by The Real Bev
I don't like the idea of keeping the plain-text file on my phone, which
is why I wondered about SSE. Got an opinion?
Keeping passwords in a plain text file is *stupid*.
Post by The Real Bev
I'm really unwilling to put a password on my phone -- having to feed in
a password whenever I want to use the phone is anathema. Besides, how
much do I trust the phone itself to NOT screw up the encryption?
Not having a password on your phone is a full order of magnitude more
stupid than having your passwords in a text file.
Post by The Real Bev
I've had to do factory resets. Takes days to get back to where I was.
Ain't android lovely?
Post by The Real Bev
Backups are fairly useless; the stuff you really want backed up -- app
personalization, passwords -- don't EVER get backed up.
Android sucks. Welcome to android.
Post by The Real Bev
Got an opinion on that too?
Yep. Get an iPhone and use it properly. Encrypted backups via itunes
make restoring completely painless. Syncing keychain to iCloud gives me
fast and easy access to most of my web passwords, though I also use
1Password.

But I suspect, being the nymshifting troll you are, you're going to
start blathering about linux any minute now.
--
The PSP could have voice recognition too, so when you go
"nyuuurrrrrrrr-uuuuuurrrrrrrrrrr-uuuuuuurrrrrrrrr" you go faster, an
when you go "Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" you stop
Zaidy036
2015-04-02 01:59:46 UTC
"Air Transfer" is easy to use but I am not sure it has a Linux version
nospam
2015-04-02 03:13:42 UTC
and slowest.
Dave Liquorice
2015-04-02 09:30:56 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by nospam
Post by John Varela
bluetooth is by far the easiest transfer method.
and slowest.
Naw, taking microSD card out of one device and putting it another,
copying file(s) to card and moving it back is probably slower. On my
phone it's a power down, case off, back off, battery out job to get
at the card...
--
Cheers
Dave.
jamie
2015-04-02 14:48:19 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Naw, taking microSD card out of one device and putting it another,
copying file(s) to card and moving it back is probably slower. On my
phone it's a power down, case off, back off, battery out job to get at
the card...
I hadn't thought about the SD card.
That works. That's easy. (Not as easy as bluetooth, but easy).

But, again, only for the transfer to and from Linux & Android.

The iPad is the hardest problem that I need to solve.
notbob
2015-04-02 15:01:43 UTC
Post by jamie
The iPad is the hardest problem that I need to solve.
I have a Linux desktop and my attorney has a Mac laptop. I jes tell
her to make any Word doc into a pdf and send it.

nb
jamie
2015-04-02 15:18:10 UTC
Post by notbob
I have a Linux desktop and my attorney has a Mac laptop. I jes tell
her to make any Word doc into a pdf and send it.
Email should work, and, in the end, if I don't get the bluetooth working
on the ipad, that's probably what I'll use.

These spreadsheets are simply text csv files so all three devices
should be able to handle comma delimited ASCII text.
Michelle Steiner
2015-04-02 15:45:08 UTC
Post by jamie
Post by notbob
I have a Linux desktop and my attorney has a Mac laptop. I jes tell
her to make any Word doc into a pdf and send it.
Email should work, and, in the end, if I don't get the bluetooth working
on the ipad, that's probably what I'll use.
Bluetooth works on the iPad; the problem is that your linux computer is
not compatible with iOS.
They do; your problem is with transmitting the file between devices.
jamie
2015-04-02 19:57:57 UTC
Post by Michelle Steiner
Bluetooth works on the iPad; the problem is that your linux computer is
not compatible with iOS.
Bluetooth should be bluetooth.
I don't see how Linux has anything to do with it.
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 20:16:47 UTC
Post by jamie
Post by Michelle Steiner
Bluetooth works on the iPad; the problem is that your linux computer is
not compatible with iOS.
Bluetooth should be bluetooth.
I don't see how Linux has anything to do with it.
That's because you're not really interested in seeing how Linux has
anything to do with it. : ) You see what you want to see. iOS doesn't
support Bluetooth file transfers because there is no need for file
transfers to begin with when you use the device as designed. Linux is
stuck in the past, which is why you are stuck laboriously copying files
around.

JR
jamie
2015-04-02 20:38:14 UTC
Post by jamie
iOS doesn't
support Bluetooth file transfers because there is no need for file
transfers to begin with when you use the device as designed.
oh. I didn't know that.
Are you sure?

If that's the case, then the bluetooth file transfer idea was doomed
from the start.

Are you sure iOS doesn't support bluetooth file transfer?
nospam
2015-04-02 20:45:32 UTC
Post by jamie
Are you sure iOS doesn't support bluetooth file transfer?
what for? it's primitive and slow.

what it does do is use bluetooth to set up a significantly faster wifi
connection completely automatically.
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 20:52:58 UTC
Post by jamie
Post by jamie
iOS doesn't
support Bluetooth file transfers because there is no need for file
transfers to begin with when you use the device as designed.
oh. I didn't know that.
Are you sure?
If that's the case, then the bluetooth file transfer idea was doomed
from the start.
Are you sure iOS doesn't support bluetooth file transfer?
Yes, I'm sure. It's not needed, so isn't enabled. As I've already
described, better alternative are used instead.

JR
jamie
2015-04-02 20:54:21 UTC
If ios can't do bluetooth file transfer, can it at least do wifi file transfer?
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 21:07:00 UTC
Post by jamie
Post by Jolly Roger
Yes, I'm sure. It's not needed, so isn't enabled. As I've already
described, better alternative are used instead.
If ios can't do bluetooth file transfer, can it at least do wifi file transfer?
It actually does use Bluetooth and WiFi to do transfers - just not the
way you want it to do it.

<https://www.apple.com/osx/continuity/>

<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204144>

...and of course, "there's an app for that" also applies.

JR
jamie
2015-04-02 21:25:53 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204144>
...and of course, "there's an app for that" also applies.
If this works, it will be fine.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204144
"With AirDrop, you can share photos, videos, websites, locations, and
more with people nearby with an Apple device."

That is a description about "Air Drop", which requires both bluetooth and
wifi to be on (which is OK with me) but it doesn't say anything about
excel spreadsheets (though they may be covered under the "photos, safari,
contacts, and more" if the private space is accessible).

It also says it only works with Apple devices.
Are you sure that AirDrop will work with Linux?
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 21:45:07 UTC
Post by jamie
Post by Jolly Roger
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204144>
...and of course, "there's an app for that" also applies.
If this works, it will be fine.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204144
"With AirDrop, you can share photos, videos, websites, locations, and
more with people nearby with an Apple device."
That is a description about "Air Drop", which requires both bluetooth and
wifi to be on (which is OK with me) but it doesn't say anything about
excel spreadsheets (though they may be covered under the "photos, safari,
contacts, and more" if the private space is accessible).
It also says it only works with Apple devices.
Are you sure that AirDrop will work with Linux?
I wasn't suggesting it works with Linux, no. Sorry for the confusion.

JR
Savageduck
2015-04-02 15:01:45 UTC
Post by jamie
Post by Dave Liquorice
Naw, taking microSD card out of one device and putting it another,
copying file(s) to card and moving it back is probably slower. On my
phone it's a power down, case off, back off, battery out job to get at
the card...
I hadn't thought about the SD card.
That works. That's easy. (Not as easy as bluetooth, but easy).
But, again, only for the transfer to and from Linux & Android.
The iPad is the hardest problem that I need to solve.
<http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/iStick/?utm_source=HyperShop.com&utm_campaign=f4f542bd45-Gadgets_for_iOS_Android_Mac_4_1_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_69cc164f07-f4f542bd45-751789>

or
<http://tinyurl.com/powbgcu>
--
Regards,

Savageduck
nospam
2015-04-02 15:28:17 UTC
Post by Savageduck
<http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/iStick/?utm_source=HyperShop.com&utm_camp
aign=f4f542bd45-Gadgets_for_iOS_Android_Mac_4_1_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term
=0_69cc164f07-f4f542bd45-751789>
or
<http://tinyurl.com/powbgcu>
or
<http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/iStick/>

you can delete the utm_source crap, which is nothing more than tracking
info so hypershop can figure out where you found the link
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 15:16:36 UTC
Post by jamie
Post by Dave Liquorice
Naw, taking microSD card out of one device and putting it another,
copying file(s) to card and moving it back is probably slower. On my
phone it's a power down, case off, back off, battery out job to get at
the card...
I hadn't thought about the SD card.
That works. That's easy. (Not as easy as bluetooth, but easy).
But, again, only for the transfer to and from Linux & Android.
The iPad is the hardest problem that I need to solve.
When you try to shoehorn outdated computing methodologies into modern
mobile devices rather than using them as they are designed, you see
those modern solutions as "problems". The reason iOS devices don't do
the things you seem to want them to do (in this case transfer files to a
file system through a Bluetooth connection) is because better (easier,
more secure, etc) solutions have already replaced them on the iPad and
other Apple products. With Apple products, I save a spreadsheet, and
it's automatically available on all of my computers and devices, with
real-time updates. I literally can create a spreadsheet on my computer,
save it, get our of my chair and pull up the spreadsheet on my phone
while I walk to the living room, for instance. It all happens
automatically and effortlessly, with no need for me to do any setup work
before-hand. While you are still writing little scripts and dealing with
files and such, I'm already done and doing something more productive.
Sadly, it seems like the level of productivity and efficiency in Apple's
solutions cannot be appreciated by someone who has never experienced it.

JR
Dave Liquorice
2015-04-02 18:56:22 UTC
I literally can create a spreadsheet on my computer, save it, get our of
my chair and pull up the spreadsheet on my phone while I walk to the
living room, for instance.
*If* you have an internet connection or does this work over a LAN or
direct device to device?
It all happens automatically and effortlessly, with no need for me to do
any setup work before-hand.
None? Really? Not even entering your credentials into each device at
least once?
Sadly, it seems like the level of productivity and efficiency in Apple's
solutions cannot be appreciated by someone who has never experienced it.
Well, I don't trust "the cloud". It's not unknown for the service
provider to loose your data and not have any backups. It's my data, I
choose who has access to it. You need a 'net connection to do
something as basic as moving a file from one device to another.
--
Cheers
Dave.
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 18:45:36 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
I literally can create a spreadsheet on my computer, save it, get our of
my chair and pull up the spreadsheet on my phone while I walk to the
living room, for instance.
*If* you have an internet connection or does this work over a LAN or
direct device to device?
I almost always have an internet connection. So that's not a concern for
me. But even without an internet connection, Apple's Handoff would still
allow me to seamlessly access the documents (it uses Bluetooth LE / WiFi
Direct to do the magic). : )
Post by Dave Liquorice
It all happens automatically and effortlessly, with no need for me to do
any setup work before-hand.
None? Really? Not even entering your credentials into each device at
least once?
Hmmm. You enter your Apple user name and pass phrase on the device to
connect it to iCloud when you initially purchase it as part of the
standard setup. Is that what you mean? Other than that, there's no need
to enter anything at all. On a day-to-day basis, absolutely no setup is
required. Hardly as inconvenient and inefficient as the grandfather
"copy this here, script this there" solutions Linux dweebs resort to
using.
Post by Dave Liquorice
Sadly, it seems like the level of productivity and efficiency in Apple's
solutions cannot be appreciated by someone who has never experienced it.
Well, I don't trust "the cloud".
That's silly. You're using "the cloud" right now. "The cloud" is simply
"the internet" and there's nothing inherently untrustworthy about it.
And those of us who have bothered to actually do research to learn how
Apple protects your privacy and your data stored on their internet
servers know it's safer than a lot of competitors in that respect. And
as I've already mentioned, nothing prevents you from doubling down by
encrypting your files before you put them on the internet.
Post by Dave Liquorice
It's not unknown for the service provider to loose your data and not
have any backups.
That's not a problem since each device has its own local copy. The copy in the
cloud can be considered a backup in that respect. Apple hasn't ever lost
iCloud data, and even if they did, you'd still have your local copy.
Post by Dave Liquorice
It's my data, I choose who has access to it.
Same here! I choose to use iCloud when it improves my productivity,
which is the entire point of my post here about it. : ) I didn't suggest
that you must use it.
Post by Dave Liquorice
You need a 'net connection to do
something as basic as moving a file from one device to another.
Nope. Wrong. No internet connection is required for me to do that. I
don't even need a LAN connection. And it's all automated and easy. : )

JR
Chas Davis
2015-04-02 20:51:43 UTC
Post by jamie
The iPad is the hardest problem that I need to solve.
Everything on iOS will be 10x harder because it's a closed system,
designed as a dead end, using proprietary technology that is intended
not to play well with more modern systems such as Android & Linux.

This outdated proprietary iOS setup will mean that everything will
be harder for you. Best bet is ditching the iOS device (or trading
it in for a more open and modern operating system).
nospam
more nonsense.
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 21:03:47 UTC
Post by Chas Davis
Post by jamie
The iPad is the hardest problem that I need to solve.
Everything on iOS will be 10x harder because it's a closed system,
designed as a dead end, using proprietary technology that is intended
not to play well with more modern systems such as Android & Linux.
Wrong. It's a closed system that is intended to increase user
productivity in ways that far exceed what is possible on Android and
Linux, because they are hopelessly stuck in the past. And it delivers in
spades, as anyone who has a clue knows from direct experience.
Post by Chas Davis
This outdated proprietary iOS setup
Outdated. LOL! iOS does things by default that Android and Linux can
only dream of doing, and you call it outdated. : )
Post by Chas Davis
will mean that everything will be harder for you.
It'll certainly be harder for anyone wishing to use old computing
methodologies of yesteryear. iOS users don't bother with copying files
here and there because better and easier things are baked into iOS.
Post by Chas Davis
Best bet is ditching the iOS device
Definitely. Resale value of Apple devices is high, after all. And you
can sell it to someone with a supported operating system who will really
benefit from using it the way it was designed.
Post by Chas Davis
(or trading it in for a more open and modern operating system).
Linux and Android are "modern", while iOS is "outdated". It's like you
are living in Bizarro World or something. Pure comedy! : D

JR
Lewis
2015-04-02 22:42:58 UTC
Post by Chas Davis
Post by jamie
The iPad is the hardest problem that I need to solve.
Everything on iOS will be 10x harder because it's a closed system,
designed as a dead end, using proprietary technology that is intended
not to play well with more modern systems such as Android & Linux.
You are an idiot and a liar.
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.
Lewis
2015-04-02 22:27:58 UTC
Post by jamie
The iPad is the hardest problem that I need to solve.
I disagree completely. Your 20th century methodologies is the
insurmountable obstacle you face.
--
I started playing Myst at 4:30 in the afternoon and looked up suddenly
and realized it was February.
Chas Davis
2015-04-02 22:38:07 UTC
Post by Lewis
I disagree completely. Your 20th century methodologies is the
insurmountable obstacle you face.
The Apple devices work just fine if their owners stick to the older use
model where every devices only works with one from the same company.

There's nothing wrong with that older technology used by Apple except
that its completely outdated in today's open source open system open
standards environment.
nospam
2015-04-02 22:41:21 UTC
Post by Chas Davis
Post by Lewis
I disagree completely. Your 20th century methodologies is the
insurmountable obstacle you face.
The Apple devices work just fine if their owners stick to the older use
model where every devices only works with one from the same company.
wrong. apple products interoperate with anything out there.
nonsense.
Zaidy036
Would Tethering allow file transfers?
jamie
2015-04-02 20:36:27 UTC
Post by Zaidy036
Would Tethering allow file transfers?
I can tether the Android phone to Linux to transfer the files.
I can tether the iPad to Linux to transfer the files.

On Android, it's easy to *use* the file, once transferred to
either the phone memory or to the external sd card memory.

On the iPad, I haven't figured out how to use the file yet,
because the iPad apps can't find the files on their own
device, even when I know exactly where the file lies.
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 20:55:47 UTC
Post by jamie
Post by Zaidy036
Would Tethering allow file transfers?
I can tether the Android phone to Linux to transfer the files.
I can tether the iPad to Linux to transfer the files.
On Android, it's easy to *use* the file, once transferred to
either the phone memory or to the external sd card memory.
On the iPad, I haven't figured out how to use the file yet,
because the iPad apps can't find the files on their own
device, even when I know exactly where the file lies.
That's because you are shoe horning old computing methodologies into a
modern mobile operating system that no longer supports such things
because better things have replaced them. Copying files into the
underlying iOS file system isn't going to let you realize the better
user experience that iOS provides.

JR