What is the EASIEST way to get a spreadsheet from Linux to iPad & Android
jamie
2015-04-01 14:50:44 UTC
I have a csv text spreadsheet that I maintain on Linux that I wish to
start using on Android and iOS.

The master will remain on Linux; but may be updated from the others.

What's the EASIEST way to transfer it TO and FROM the mobile devices?
David Taylor
2015-04-01 15:11:34 UTC
Post by jamie
I have a csv text spreadsheet that I maintain on Linux that I wish to
start using on Android and iOS.
The master will remain on Linux; but may be updated from the others.
What's the EASIEST way to transfer it TO and FROM the mobile devices?
DropBox - if there is a Linux version. You can get MS Office free on
Android and iOS.
--
Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
chris
2015-04-01 19:30:27 UTC
Post by David Taylor
Post by jamie
I have a csv text spreadsheet that I maintain on Linux that I wish to
start using on Android and iOS.
The master will remain on Linux; but may be updated from the others.
What's the EASIEST way to transfer it TO and FROM the mobile devices?
DropBox - if there is a Linux version. You can get MS Office free on
Android and iOS.
+1 - there is a linux version.

You don't need MS Office to read/edit a csv file. A text editor is enough.
Chas Davis
2015-04-02 00:27:22 UTC
Why not use iTunes, like everybody else?
Chris Ahlstrom
2015-04-02 00:34:41 UTC
Post by Chas Davis
Post by David Taylor
DropBox - if there is a Linux version. You can get MS Office free on
Android and iOS.
Why not use iTunes, like everybody else?
iTunes? Never used it. Is that some kind of "office suite"?
--
Youth -- not a time of life but a state of mind... a predominance of
courage over timidity, of the appetite for adventure over the love of ease.
-- Robert F. Kennedy
Big_Al
2015-04-01 17:07:19 UTC
Post by jamie
I have a csv text spreadsheet that I maintain on Linux that I wish to
start using on Android and iOS.
The master will remain on Linux; but may be updated from the others.
What's the EASIEST way to transfer it TO and FROM the mobile devices?
Google Drive on android/windows/linux.
I found Linux is called grive I think. You'd think gdrive but I think the d was missing. It was in the standard
install program. I'm not on linux so I can't be more informative than that. I push everything around on google drive.
John Varela
2015-04-01 21:19:20 UTC
bluetooth is by far the easiest transfer method.
Dave Liquorice
2015-04-01 22:36:58 UTC
Post by John Varela
bluetooth is by far the easiest transfer method.
Is the Linux on a PC? They tend not to have Bluetooth...

WiFi and ordinary file shareing is simpler IMHO.
--
Cheers
Dave.
The Real Bev
2015-04-01 21:50:46 UTC
Post by jamie
Post by John Varela
bluetooth is by far the easiest transfer method.
Is the Linux on a PC? They tend not to have Bluetooth...
I ordered a tiny bluetooth dongle a couple of years ago from one of the
Chinese mail order places for $2. I probably didn't have to do anything
special (or I'd have remembered it, sort of) and it worked fine. I
haven't used it since I tested it and it's SOMEWHERE in one of my Safe
Places...
Post by jamie
WiFi and ordinary file shareing is simpler IMHO.
--
Cheers, Bev
"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level.
It's cheaper." -- Quentin Crisp 1908 - 1999
Chris Ahlstrom
2015-04-02 00:14:07 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
Post by jamie
Post by John Varela
bluetooth is by far the easiest transfer method.
Is the Linux on a PC? They tend not to have Bluetooth...
I ordered a tiny bluetooth dongle a couple of years ago from one of the
Chinese mail order places for $2. I probably didn't have to do anything
special (or I'd have remembered it, sort of) and it worked fine. I
haven't used it since I tested it and it's SOMEWHERE in one of my Safe
Places...
I bought a Targus bluetooth dongle at Office Depot, and keep it around.
I'm using right now on a new laptop. But, from what I've been reading in
the Linux kernel mailing list, version 4.0 should obviate that dongle on
this machine. Still useful for my older desktop, though.

I use a General Electric (!) / Jasco bluetooth keyboard that I found at
Target for $40. It's great for Linux and is my favorite keyboard. I use it
all day at work and it holds up well.
--
We wish you a Hare Krishna
We wish you a Hare Krishna
-- Maxwell Smart
Tony Cito
2015-04-01 22:19:58 UTC
What wrong with simple USB wire?
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 01:30:22 UTC
Post by Tony Cito
Post by Dave Liquorice
WiFi and ordinary file shareing is simpler IMHO.
What wrong with simple USB wire?
I can't speak for everyone, but some of us dislike the idea of lugging a
USB cable with us everywhere we go. Personally, I would rather not have
a cable at all. Apple's tools let you get shit done without cables to a
far greater extent than competitors.

JR
Tony Cito
2015-04-02 01:32:15 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
I can't speak for everyone, but some of us dislike the idea of lugging a
USB cable with us everywhere we go. Personally, I would rather not have
a cable at all. Apple's tools let you get shit done without cables to a
far greater extent than competitors.
That's a joke.
The Apple tools only work with Apple products.
They suck at working with Android, and they really suck at working with
Linux.

Conversely, Android works fine with Linux, and vice versa.

So the OP's biggest problem will be the Apple devices.
Mark my words.

When it comes to connectivity, everything will work except the Apple
equipment.

jamie
2015-04-02 01:15:08 UTC
Post by Dave Liquorice
Is the Linux on a PC? They tend not to have Bluetooth...
I like the simplicity of Bluetooth since I don't need the net
and I don't want to always have a wire (and iOS doesn't do
wire transfers as gracefully as Android does - so the iOS
device is the limiting factor).

The Linux is a PC which used to run Windows but is now KDE,
which has Bluetooth settings at
"System Settings > Network and Connectivity > Bluetooth".

The only problem is that it seems to recognize everything *but*
the iPad!

This is what it looks like on Linux with the iPad near by:

The iPad definitely has its bluetooth turned on.
The PC is definitely set to be discoverable.
The iPad forever says "Searching" & "Now Discoverable".

But, no go.

The iPad works fine with a Motorola Bluetooth Speaker in the car.
The iPad works fine with a Motorola H700 earpiece also.

The iPad just won't (yet) talk to Linux on Bluetooth.

Is there something special that has to be done to make the iPad
Bluetooth work with Linux Bluetooth?
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 01:28:13 UTC
Post by jamie
Post by John Varela
bluetooth is by far the easiest transfer method.
Is the Linux on a PC? They tend not to have Bluetooth...
All Apple computers and mobile devices have Bluetooth built in. No need
for silly dongles.
Post by jamie
WiFi and ordinary file shareing is simpler IMHO.
I like it when WiFi and Bluetooth work together ala Continuity, AirDrop,
and iCloud.

JR
Tony Cito
2015-04-02 01:30:28 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
All Apple computers and mobile devices have Bluetooth built in.
No need for silly dongles.
All my mobile devices, including the Linux laptop, have bluetooth
built in. Pretty much any laptop built in the last few years has
bluetooth built in, so, it's not just an Apple thing.
Apple never works well with other systems.
mike
2015-04-01 22:44:13 UTC
Post by John Varela
Post by jamie
What's the EASIEST way to transfer it TO and FROM the mobile devices?
bluetooth is by far the easiest transfer method.
My neighbor wanted an iPAD, so I did some research on that
question.
The answer always came back, "email it".
John Varela
2015-04-02 01:21:36 UTC
My neighbor wanted an iPAD, so I did some research on that question.
The answer always came back, "email it".
Even though it's the iPAD, which is the hardest system to use of
all, you can get it to work over usb wire and bluetooth. It's just a
PITA because Apple doesn't want you to be able to use other devices
so they make it hard on purpose.

The users all are brainwashed to think it's a "security" thing, but
that's BS. There's no need to prevent wire transfers, especially
since you can set the security in bluetooth any way you like.

So what you have to do is find a non-Apple app that accepts files
(pretty much all the Apple apps are useless anyway) and then you
just put the file in the private space of that non Apple app.

I do it with usb but I've never tried it with bluetooth, which seems
like the easiest way to do a file transfer at home.
Jolly Roger
2015-04-02 01:08:50 UTC
Post by John Varela
Post by jamie
What's the EASIEST way to transfer it TO and FROM the mobile devices?
bluetooth is by far the easiest transfer method.
Far easier than that is iCloud, where once you store the file there,
it's automatically available on all of you computers and devices from
that point on, real time changes and all.

(It's not completely relevant to the OP's question, though since you
have to use iOS or OS X, and Apple's Numbers app, to do it though. : )

JR
Tony Cito
2015-04-02 01:30:23 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Far easier than that is iCloud, where once you store the file there,
Why would anyone want to store their personal files on the Internet
when there is absolutely no reason to store them on the Internet?

You just want to transfer them to a device a few feet away.
Do you make everything this complicated?