How do you organize the top level desktop of your mobile phone?
Dennis O'Neill
2014-11-26 04:59:38 UTC
How do you organize your phone's top level?

I'm relatively new to organizing a smart phone, although I, like almost
everyone else, have years of experience organizing desktop computers.

While no one organization is perfect, and what floats my boat may not
float yours, so that I can get better ideas from you, here's what
"my" current desktop organization looks like on my new-to-me mobile phone:

What do you think of "my" top-level organization?
What do you do better/different?

PS: If you need more detail, just ask and I will clarify.
The Real Bev
2014-11-26 05:18:22 UTC
http://i59.tinypic.com/20f7rqb.png
What do you think of "my" top-level organization?
What do you do better/different?
PS: If you need more detail, just ask and I will clarify.
Are YOU happy with it?

Personally, I don't like hierarchical organizations, especially those
designed by somebody else -- you have to guess what some total stranger
thought was a good place to put something.

I don't have that capability. I have my 'applications' area which is
alphabetical, and 5 (or more, who knows?) pages with 25 (or 30? I don't
want to turn the phone on just to find out) icons on each one -- 'home'
pages, arranged at my discretion. I try to set them up so that all the
gps stuff is on one page, all the communication stuff on another,
utilities on another, and one page with new stuff that requires me to
rearrange everything else. The alphabet pages are the easiest to deal
with unless I'm flipping back and forth between apps on the same 'home'
page.

I'm probably not one to ask, though. My last-but-one windows system had
beteen 75 and 100 icons lined up on my screen just waiting for my
attention. I don't use my newest one for much, and I'm still working on
it.
--
Cheers, Bev
"It's important to never be arrogant. Especially if you're one
of the little people whose opinion doesn't matter." --Rat
Dennis O'Neill
2014-11-26 05:52:47 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
Are YOU happy with it?
What I "like" is that everything I want/need is on a single desktop,
organized by what I'm trying to "do" (eg communicating by email or SMS
versus shopping for groceries versus networking on wifi versus searching
the web versus maintaining the phone settings, etc).

What I very much don't like is that I can't figure out how to /change/
the names of some of the apps to something that makes better practical
sense "to me".

For example, instead of the app named "Email", I would like to name it
"work_email" (or, just "work") while the application namd "Gmail" I would
like to name "personal_email" (or just "personal").

Likewise, the application named "S-Voice" I'd like to name something like
"voice_command" while the application named "Smart Voice Recorder", I'd
like to name something like "voice_capture".

As for hierarchical versus flat organization, they both have merits, and
they both have demerits.

While I like a hierarchical desktop interface, you'll notice that I
didn't make my dock hierarchical, even though I easily could have placed
a half-dozen folders in the dock area.

So, for the five or six items I use the most, I put their icons flat in
my dock, while I put the icon for the other fifty or so apps that I use
less often into their respective folders on the desktop.

I like your idea of having a desktop "page" for every category. That
would also work for me. However, having an entire page for some
categories would leave a lot of empty space. For example, my largest
folder is my "Driving" folder, which currently has five different map
applications and a gas price application and three exit-services
applications. That wouldn't be enough to fill a whole page, which can
have, for example as many as six rows by six columns (or any number of
rows and columns that I want to set in my launcher preferences).

I understood what you meant by putting all the gps applications on one
screen. For me, I have different types of gps-based applications, which
go into different folders depending on the purpose of the application.

For example:
o The car routing GPS apps go into my "Driving" folder
o Off road GPS backcountry apps go into my "Hiking" folder
o The WiFi Access Point GPS locator goes into a "Networking" folder
o The GPS tracker recording the kids' location goes into "Recording"
etc.

My biggest problem with organizing the cell phone is that the actual
names of the apps themselves sometimes doesn't convey what the app does.

For example, I'd like to rename the Duolingo application to somehow
indicate that it's a program for learning languages, but I can't change
that without putting it in a folder that indicates that intent, but, that
folder would only have one app in it (which means it shouldn't be a
folder).
Zaidy036
2014-11-26 17:22:55 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by The Real Bev
[...]
I do not think you can rename an Apps Icon...I suggest a "Work" and a
"Private" folder with the App icons inside.
Zaidy036
Davoud
2014-11-26 05:39:07 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
How do you organize your phone's top level?
I'm relatively new to organizing a smart phone, although I, like almost
everyone else, have years of experience organizing desktop computers.
While no one organization is perfect, and what floats my boat may not
float yours, so that I can get better ideas from you, here's what
"my" current desktop organization looks like on my new-to-me mobile phone...
I cannot possibly have better ideas than you on the way *you* should
organize the apps on your phone. I did look at your arrangement, and it
was, predictably, useless to me. Firstly, you are using an off-brand
phone, one of the iPhone rip-offs; secondly, you are not me.
you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Dennis O'Neill
2014-11-26 05:56:10 UTC
What I'd like to learn is what organization is useful to you, and why?
Michelle Steiner
2014-11-26 06:05:55 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by Davoud
I cannot possibly have better ideas than you on the way *you* should
organize the apps on your phone. I did look at your arrangement, and it
was, predictably, useless to me.
What I'd like to learn is what organization is useful to you, and why?
I have minimal organization, and use spotlight to launch the majority
of apps.
Dennis O'Neill
2014-11-26 06:43:54 UTC
Post by Michelle Steiner
I have minimal organization, and use spotlight to launch
the majority of apps.
This is good information because that's yet another way of organizing the
functions that all of us do every day on our mobile devices:

o The Real Bev creates a page for each type of app
o Michelle Steiner uses spotlight to find an app by keyword search
o Davoud apparently doesn't like the hierarchical approach
o And I try to keep everything organized hierarchically on one page

Even though we all do the same things on our mobile devices, we organize
it differently.

Even so, there can't be too many more organizational systems than the
three types shown above, can there be?
Rod Speed
2014-11-26 08:19:20 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by Michelle Steiner
I have minimal organization, and use spotlight to launch
the majority of apps.
This is good information because that's yet another way of organizing the
o The Real Bev creates a page for each type of app
o Michelle Steiner uses spotlight to find an app by keyword search
o Davoud apparently doesn't like the hierarchical approach
o And I try to keep everything organized hierarchically on one page
Even though we all do the same things on our mobile devices, we organize
it differently.
Even so, there can't be too many more organizational systems than the
three types shown above, can there be?
Yes, there can also be combinations of those 3 and no organisation at all
too.
David Fritzinger
2014-11-26 14:38:15 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by Michelle Steiner
I have minimal organization, and use spotlight to launch
the majority of apps.
This is good information because that's yet another way of organizing the
o The Real Bev creates a page for each type of app
o Michelle Steiner uses spotlight to find an app by keyword search
o Davoud apparently doesn't like the hierarchical approach
o And I try to keep everything organized hierarchically on one page
Even though we all do the same things on our mobile devices, we organize
it differently.
Even so, there can't be too many more organizational systems than the
three types shown above, can there be?
FWIW, I tend to have my most used apps on the first page. Apps that I
use most frequently (calendar, contacts, mapping apps) are not kept in a
folder. Then I have folders on the first page with related apps, such as
"App Finders" (including App Store, etc.), Productivity (LinkedIn,
Evernote, etc.), Travel (Free WiFi, Yellow Pages, Urban Spoon, Around
Me, etc) and weather apps. Other, less used apps are on pages 2 and 3,
organized rather haphazardly.

Note to self: Phone could use some reorganizing.
Michelle Steiner
2014-11-26 16:27:21 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by Michelle Steiner
I have minimal organization, and use spotlight to launch
the majority of apps.
This is good information because that's yet another way of organizing the
o The Real Bev creates a page for each type of app
o Michelle Steiner uses spotlight to find an app by keyword search
I do keep my most used apps on the Dock or first page of the
Springboard. I use Spotlight for most of the rest.
Rod Speed
2014-11-26 06:30:12 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
How do you organize your phone's top level?
I have the stuff I use most often on the first screen with a couple
of folders for the some stuff like the banking apps and stores etc.

The less commonly used stuff is on the next screen but I mostly
invoke the stuff that isnt on the first screen by using the search
rather than hunting it down on the subsidiary screens. That does
require you to remember the name most of the time tho so there
is some organisation of the stuff on the other than first screen into
folder to make them easy to find when I cant remember the name
and they don’t show up with obvious search terms.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
I'm relatively new to organizing a smart phone, although I, like almost
everyone else, have years of experience organizing desktop computers.
I don’t organise things much on desktops computers, basically have the
most commonly used stuff in the taskbar sorted so the most commonly
used stuff is on the right of the top line.

I used to have a fucking great taskbar with XP, quite literally half
the screen with auto hide but now only have 1.5 rows with Win7.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
While no one organization is perfect, and what floats my boat may
not float yours, so that I can get better ideas from you, here's what "my"
http://i59.tinypic.com/20f7rqb.png
What do you think of "my" top-level organization?
Not bad, but I don’t like just folders alone at the top level,
I prefer to be able to single tap on the stuff I use most like
facebook that I use to access my own group that I have the
garage/yard sale entrys in that I use during the garage/yard
sale run, MapMyWalk that I use to keep track of my walking
for exercise and the podcasts apps that I listen to when
walking or doing stuff around the house etc.

And you have no control over the blank space on an iDevice.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
What do you do better/different?
See above.
Poutnik
2014-11-26 06:46:25 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
How do you organize your phone's top level?
I'm relatively new to organizing a smart phone, although I, like almost
everyone else, have years of experience organizing desktop computers.
While no one organization is perfect, and what floats my boat may not
float yours, so that I can get better ideas from you, here's what
For, for given list of application icons,
all is question of these thing .. ( A 4.3 in my case )

How many of apps you want to have shortcut desktop icons ?

How wide the desktop ( how many ) should be ?

How deep ( foldering level ) desktop should be ?

It depends on scope of frequent applications.
It depends on their usage patterns.
It depends on if you prefer swiping or clicking.
It depends on you way of organizing things generally.

The only general approach it to try all
and stick on what you prefer.
Poutnik
Dennis O'Neill
2014-11-26 07:13:09 UTC
Post by Poutnik
How many of apps you want to have shortcut desktop icons ?
I just counted that I have 52 unique apps in a dozen folders
on my device desktop, not counting duplicates placed in the
dock area.

Opening the app drawer, I have 69 apps, including both the
carrier pre-installed apps and any apps that I installed.
Post by Poutnik
How wide the desktop ( how many ) should be ?
Looking at my launcher "Desktop Grid" preferences, I see
that I mine is set for 5 rows by 4 columns (but it's all
user definable so we can put as many icons as we like in
as many rows and columns and even half-rows & half columns).
Post by Poutnik
How deep ( foldering level ) desktop should be ?
I would /love/ to go deeper than a single folder, but, I
can't figure out how to put a folder inside of a folder yet.
Post by Poutnik
It depends on scope of frequent applications.
My scope for applications, based on frequency of use, are:
o The most often used go in the dock area (eg phone)
o The often used go in the single desktop (eg hiking)
o The rarely (or never) used stay in the app drawer (eg VPN Client)
Post by Poutnik
It depends on their usage patterns.
I put the four things I do most, in the first row.
On the second row, I have the two things done while navigating.
On the third row is where I edit and create documents.
The fourth row is technical, covering networking & archiving.
My last row before the doc is reserved for system activities.
And, of course, the dock itself is mostly used for basic device tasks
such as for the phone, SMS, voice-control, contacts, & recording
functions.
Post by Poutnik
It depends on if you prefer swiping or clicking.
I can swipe down, for example, to bring up the settings.
But I can also click on an icon to bring up the settings.

This ability to bring up apps in multiple ways covers many functions.

For example I can press the home button twice to bring up "S Voice",
or I can press the "S Voice" icon to bring up voice commands - or I
can just say "Hello Galaxy" to bring up "S Voice".
Post by Poutnik
It depends on you way of organizing things generally.
I don't think the way I organize in general is the same because
I don't do the same things, in general, that I do on a phone.

For example, I have my books organized on my bookshelves by their
physical size (simply because that looks nicer and because
it allows more books to be held on a given number of shelves).

But I wouldn't want to organize my apps on my mobile device by
size.
Post by Poutnik
The only general approach it to try all and stick on what you
prefer.
I think we have come up with (at least) three general approaches:
o The Real Bev creates a desktop page for each type of app
o Michelle Steiner uses the spotlight search feature to find an app
o I put the apps in a folder based on what I do with them
http://i59.tinypic.com/20f7rqb.png

What other general approaches are there to organizing mobile apps?
Poutnik
2014-11-26 07:31:25 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by Poutnik
How many of apps you want to have shortcut desktop icons ?
I just counted that I have 52 unique apps in a dozen folders
on my device desktop, not counting duplicates placed in the
dock area.
Opening the app drawer, I have 69 apps, including both the
carrier pre-installed apps and any apps that I installed.
In my opinion, I am not sure if is worthy to have shortcuts
for all apps only. But it makes sense
for reorganizing them on your way.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by Poutnik
How wide the desktop ( how many ) should be ?
Looking at my launcher "Desktop Grid" preferences, I see
that I mine is set for 5 rows by 4 columns (but it's all
user definable so we can put as many icons as we like in
as many rows and columns and even half-rows & half columns).
I meant here how many desktop screens for side swiping.
The word screen was there, but escaped somehow...
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by Poutnik
How deep ( foldering level ) desktop should be ?
I would /love/ to go deeper than a single folder, but, I
can't figure out how to put a folder inside of a folder yet.
I do not mean several folder levels, but rather what portion
of icons are in folders and what are not.
As I like to have the most used apps directly on desktop,
and really favourite on default desktop screen.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by Poutnik
It depends on scope of frequent applications.
o The most often used go in the dock area (eg phone)
o The often used go in the single desktop (eg hiking)
o The rarely (or never) used stay in the app drawer (eg VPN Client)
So you do not use multiple screens, do you ?
As swiping can be faster then folder opening.
But as said, matter of preferences.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by Poutnik
It depends on their usage patterns.
I put the four things I do most, in the first row.
On the second row, I have the two things done while navigating.
On the third row is where I edit and create documents.
The fourth row is technical, covering networking & archiving.
My last row before the doc is reserved for system activities.
And, of course, the dock itself is mostly used for basic device tasks
such as for the phone, SMS, voice-control, contacts, & recording
functions.
I use level0 for must used apps, and for less used apps
I create thematic folders, usually in total 3 desktop screens.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by Poutnik
It depends on if you prefer swiping or clicking.
I can swipe down, for example, to bring up the settings.
But I can also click on an icon to bring up the settings.
I mean side swiping to switch the desktop screens.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by Poutnik
It depends on you way of organizing things generally.
I don't think the way I organize in general is the same because
I don't do the same things, in general, that I do on a phone.
Of course you do not, but persons usually try to apply
their general organizing preferences in different domains.

The one who organize the socks by colour, does it for icons too.
The one who organize the socks by usage, does it for icons too.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
For example, I have my books organized on my bookshelves by their
physical size (simply because that looks nicer and because
it allows more books to be held on a given number of shelves).
But I wouldn't want to organize my apps on my mobile device by
size.
Well, icons have the same size, so you had to choose other criteria.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
What other general approaches are there to organizing mobile apps?
I use tree as well, to too big, not too wide, not too high.
Poutnik
Dennis O'Neill
2014-11-26 13:53:39 UTC
Post by Poutnik
In my opinion, I am not sure if is worthy to have shortcuts
for all apps only.
That is a very good point, in that not all apps are executed by the
device owner (eg anti virus apps or unused carrier mandated apps).

By default, the launcher I use puts (all apps) apps drawer in the dock,
which, I think, is a common location for that particular app.

But, that all-apps drawer is, in itself, simply an icon that you can move
or delete it, just like any other app icon.

Since I don't use the app-drawer all that much, I have moved mine into
the system "Maintaining" folder (along with "Settings", the "File
Explorer", and the app-store icons).
Post by Poutnik
I meant here how many desktop screens for side swiping.
The word screen was there, but escaped somehow...
I understand that many people have more than one desktop screen, and that
allows them the freedom to simply and customize each for its individual
purpose (as the Real Bev had explained).

I like to keep a single mobile device desktop screen, but almost all (if
not all) the mobile-device desktops I've seen have /multiple/ desktop
screens. I've never understood why people do that but tastes differ.

Me? I don't want to /search/ for an icon when I want to use it.
I just want to already know where it is.

Keeping a single screen with just the icons of apps that I use allows me
to easily remember where everything is.
Post by Poutnik
I do not mean several folder levels, but rather what portion
of icons are in folders and what are not.
I find a mix of folders and icons on the desktop a bit confusing, but, I
do understand what you're saying, which is that some things defy being in
a folder, while other things practically beg to be in a folder.

For example, web browsers just beg to be in a folder called something
like "web browsers", while a flashlight app doesn't really have a
corollary folder of common actions.
Post by Poutnik
So you do not use multiple screens, do you ?
I think most people use multiple screens (as the Real Bev explained),
but, my goal is to /know/ where every app icon is located.

Having a single desktop screen makes that task easy.

I mean, how many apps does anyone use anyway?

I use about 50 apps and my app drawer has roughly about one and a half
times that many apps (mostly these are non-removable apps that the
carrier or the phone manufacturer put there).

50 apps /easily/ fits on the desktop in folder.

And, how many apps do we /constantly/ use? I have 6 apps in my dock,
which are the apps that I need access to so quickly that it would be
inefficient to have to press twice to get to them.

Since my goal is to (easily!) memorize where every app is, if I have
multiple screens, that just adds an order of magnitude level of
difficulty to automatically memorizing where all the apps lie.

Having a single screen that doesn't change on me makes it easy to
remember, within a day or two, where every app is.

If I ever make a mistake, and open the wrong folder, then I either rename
the folder (over time) to be more explicit, or I move the app into a
different folder (that makes sense to me), or, more often than not, I
simply put the app in /both/ folders that make sense.

For example, I could put the tracking device for my kid's phones in a
variety of folders, since it might make sense in more than one, but, once
I do that, it's static in that the folder organization is always the
same, given there is only one screen to remember.
Post by Poutnik
As swiping can be faster then folder opening.
But as said, matter of preferences.
That's a good point, in that switching desktop screens could be just as
fast (or maybe even slightly faster) than pressing on a folder to open it
up.

Thinking about it, I guess that, instead of having a dozen folders, I
could have had a dozen desktop screens.

The only thing I see inefficient about that is that the desktop screens
are sequential, whereas the folders are parallel.

So, I think your idea, while excellent in terms of speed, would start to
slow the user down if there were, say, more than a dozen screens to have
to swipe past to get to the one the user wanted.
Post by Poutnik
Post by Poutnik
It depends on their usage patterns.
I'm not so sure we're all that different in our usage patterns.

Certainly we're different in our organizational mentality.

But, don't most of us do these common tasks all the time?
o Make and receive phone calls
o Send and receive SMS messages
o Send and receive email
o Snap and view camera pictures
etc.

And, don't most of us do these almost-as-common tasks frequently?
o Scan a barcode at a store
o Use the calculator when needed
o Add an item to our calendar or memos
o Navigate to a location with a map app
etc.

And, don't most of us less often do these less-common tasks?
o Archive programs so that we can easily reinstall them
o Optimize our contacts list to clean it up
o Open up the VPN client at a Starbucks
o Search signal strength & location of Wifi & cellular APs
etc.
Post by Poutnik
I use level0 for must used apps, and for less used apps
I create thematic folders, usually in total 3 desktop screens.
I'm glad you said three desktop screens, because that allows you, from
the center screen, to get to the other two with a single swipe in either
direction.

So, the sequential problem that I discussed earlier (with a dozen desktop
screens) is avoided.

I like your idea of the three desktop screens because, as you said, it
might even be /faster/ than a single desktop screen.

It only starts to slow down when you have more than three.
Post by Poutnik
The one who organize the socks by colour, does it for icons too.
The one who organize the socks by usage, does it for icons too.
This is a very good observation, that I can appreciate.
What you're saying is that people who organize things, likely organize
things at home and at work, and that they likely have "some kind" of
organizational system.

That system, you're saying, generally translates to their mobile desktop.
That makes sense.
Post by Poutnik
Well, icons have the same size, so you had to choose other criteria.
True. I probably brought up a bad example, because books are physically
different sizes while icons are all the same size.

Your example of the socks by color versus by usage (dress vs casual)
makes more sense in terms of how to organize a mobile device desktop.
Post by Poutnik
I use tree as well, to too big, not too wide, not too high.
Hhhmmmm. Tree? I know about the command line "tree" commands, but I
didn't know there was a mobile device app named "tree". Looking in both
Google Play and the iOS App Store, I don't see a "tree" command.

Can you clarify?
Googling ... I
Poutnik
2014-11-26 15:47:23 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Me? I don't want to /search/ for an icon when I want to use it.
I just want to already know where it is.
Keeping a single screen with just the icons of apps that I use allows me
to easily remember where everything is.
IMHO, it make sense to have the most used apps
available on single click, even for price
less used are less available.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by Poutnik
I do not mean several folder levels, but rather what portion
of icons are in folders and what are not.
I find a mix of folders and icons on the desktop a bit confusing, but, I
do understand what you're saying, which is that some things defy being in
a folder, while other things practically beg to be in a folder.
Your folders looks different to mine folders
on my A4.3 on Sony XPERIA M.

My folder do have names, but their names are not displayed.
Their icons have a box inside,
containing 1-4 miniaturized icons of contained apps.

So one cannot confuse folder icons with apps,
OTOH folder icon itself says what kind of apps are in.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by Poutnik
So you do not use multiple screens, do you ?
I think most people use multiple screens (as the Real Bev explained),
but, my goal is to /know/ where every app icon is located.
Like multimedia apps on screen on the left,
Outdoor and GPS apps on screen on the right.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Since my goal is to (easily!) memorize where every app is, if I have
multiple screens, that just adds an order of magnitude level of
difficulty to automatically memorizing where all the apps lie.
I think to remember this category sipe left or right is easy.
but various people, various preferences.

But One thing is to remember, the other to access.
If I use some applications multiple times daily,
I want to make just one click.

There is analogy from Huffman algoritm of compressing text files.
( there are more sofisticated, out of analogy )

Normally, one character takes 1 byte - 8 bits.
If the most frequent letters represented by just few bits,
even if low frequent than require more than 8 bits,
in total it provides gain.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Having a single screen that doesn't change on me makes it easy to
remember, within a day or two, where every app is.
But you treat all the apps the same, even if their usage patter differ.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
So, I think your idea, while excellent in terms of speed, would start to
slow the user down if there were, say, more than a dozen screens to have
to swipe past to get to the one the user wanted.
Sure. Dozen is too much.
But on small display, a screen has higher icon capacity than folders.
My 854x480 phone has 4x4 icon grid,
folders either 4x3 if on top on bottom line,
or 4*2 if in middle lines ( perhaps more if scrolling )
Post by Dennis O'Neill
I'm glad you said three desktop screens, because that allows you, from
the center screen, to get to the other two with a single swipe in either
direction.
So, the sequential problem that I discussed earlier (with a dozen desktop
screens) is avoided.
I like your idea of the three desktop screens because, as you said, it
might even be /faster/ than a single desktop screen.
In my personal experience swipe and click is often faster and more
convenient, than folder opening.
Small displays may have also disadvantage of low icon dislaying capacity.

But I use both screen and folder approach, time by time I incline more
to one or other.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
It only starts to slow down when you have more than three.
This I agree.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by Poutnik
I use tree as well, to too big, not too wide, not too high.
Hhhmmmm. Tree? I know about the command line "tree" commands, but I
didn't know there was a mobile device app named "tree". Looking in both
Google Play and the iOS App Store, I don't see a "tree" command.
Figural tree.
Screens as the roots
Level0 app / folder icons as branches or trunks
Level1 icons of apps as leaves.

Not all to be on the tree, only often used apps.
the most often apps just on desktop level
"Normally often" stored in thematic folders.

E.g. I have 2 mosy often GPS related apps on desktop,
rest in GPS folder.
--
Poutnik

A wise man guards words he says,
as they may say about him more, than he says about the subject.
Dennis O'Neill
2014-11-26 18:26:24 UTC
Post by Poutnik
IMHO, it make sense to have the most used apps
available on single click, even for price
less used are less available.
I do agree, there's always going to be a tradeoff
once you have more apps than can fit on the screen.

I can easily set my preferences to have something
like 5 by 4, or 6 by 6 apps on a single desktop
screen (any number is possible but the app icons
eventually get smaller and smaller as a result).

But that only gives me about 20 to about 40 apps
before I have to go either to a second screen or
to folders.

I guess I could do that (and just access the apps
via the app drawer).

So, an alternative would be two or more screens of apps,
all flat, or just two screens, where the first screen
is flat, and the second screen has folders.

But, at some point, that becomes more work than just
using the app drawer (which is always an option).

So, in a way, the app drawer itself is a screen that
has all your apps by either the date you installed
them or by their alphabetical listing.
Poutnik
2014-11-26 19:06:35 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
I can easily set my preferences to have something
like 5 by 4, or 6 by 6 apps on a single desktop
screen (any number is possible but the app icons
eventually get smaller and smaller as a result).
But that only gives me about 20 to about 40 apps
before I have to go either to a second screen or
to folders.
Do you have more than 20 the most used apps ?
Post by Dennis O'Neill
So, an alternative would be two or more screens of apps,
all flat, or just two screens, where the first screen
is flat, and the second screen has folders.
But, at some point, that becomes more work than just
using the app drawer (which is always an option).
App drawer does not distinguish applications.

there is always an option to freely use
any combination of all approaches.

I can have e.g. 5-10 apps on the main screen,
and rest in folders in main screen,
On the side screens
on the side screen folders folders,
or just in drawer.

It is progressively distinguishing.
Poutnik
Dennis O'Neill
2014-11-26 22:41:47 UTC
Post by Poutnik
Do you have more than 20 the most used apps ?
I'm not sure what that question means.
If it's asking what app icons I use most, it's this list:
1 Clock
2 Phone
3 Contacts
4 Messaging
5 WhatsApp
6 K-9 Mail
7 Gmail
8 Email
9 Play Store
10 Camera
11 Gallery
12 Calendar
13 Internet
14 Firefox
15 S Suggest
16 S Voice
17 S Memo
18 Inkpad
19 Office Mobile
20 Smart Voice Recorder
21 ES File Explorer
22 WiGLE WiFi
23 Fritz!app WLAN
24 Gas Buddy
25 Google Maps
26 Navigator
27 iExit
28 RoadNinja
29 My Tracks
30 US Top Maps
31 Google Earth
32 Sky Map
33 Our Groceries
34 Shopping List
35 Barcode Scanner
36 Calculator
37 Settings
38 Nova Settings
Post by Poutnik
I can have e.g. 5-10 apps on the main screen,
and rest in folders in main screen,
On the side screens
on the side screen folders folders,
or just in drawer.
I could, based on your suggestion, keep the first 10
apps on the first desktop, and then keep 10 apps to
either side of that first desktop, for the top 30
apps above.
Orlando Enrique Fiol
2014-11-26 07:09:42 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
How do you organize your phone's top level?
I'm relatively new to organizing a smart phone, although I, like almost
everyone else, have years of experience organizing desktop computers.
Since I'm totally blind and icon dragging in Kit Kat is fiendishly difficult, I
keep my home screen entirely bare except for the apps drawer. I have no need to
switch between screens, since I rarely run many simultaneous apps and can
always use the Recent Apps screen to switch between the items I have running.
Dennis O'Neill
2014-11-26 18:46:18 UTC
Post by Orlando Enrique Fiol
Since I'm totally blind and icon dragging in Kit Kat is fiendishly difficult, I
keep my home screen entirely bare except for the apps drawer. I have no need to
switch between screens, since I rarely run many simultaneous apps and can
always use the Recent Apps screen to switch between the items I have running.
There's a recent apps screen?

I don't see a "recent apps" selection on Android using the Nova Launcher.

I don't even see a way to sort the app drawer apps by date installed.
My previous launcher did sort them that way, so I know it can be done.

What launcher are you using that has recent apps?
That would be a useful addition for organization.
Savageduck
2014-11-26 19:46:49 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by Orlando Enrique Fiol
Since I'm totally blind and icon dragging in Kit Kat is fiendishly difficult, I
keep my home screen entirely bare except for the apps drawer. I have no need to
switch between screens, since I rarely run many simultaneous apps and can
always use the Recent Apps screen to switch between the items I have running.
There's a recent apps screen?
I don't see a "recent apps" selection on Android using the Nova Launcher.
I don't even see a way to sort the app drawer apps by date installed.
My previous launcher did sort them that way, so I know it can be done.
What launcher are you using that has recent apps?
That would be a useful addition for organization.
With iOS if you double click the "Home" button, recently opened apps
will be displayed, and can be viewed by swiping right or left, and
tapped on to reopen, or can be removed from the list by swiping up.
<https://db.tt/TkgNELQD>
--
Regards,

Savageduck
Orlando Enrique Fiol
2014-11-26 20:41:25 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
There's a recent apps screen?
I don't see a "recent apps" selection on Android using the Nova Launcher.
I don't even see a way to sort the app drawer apps by date installed.
My previous launcher did sort them that way, so I know it can be done.
What launcher are you using that has recent apps?
That would be a useful addition for organization.
I'm using Cyanogen 11 simulating Kit Kat 4.4 for my Motorola Photon Q.

-- Orlando Enrique Fiol
The Real Bev
2014-11-26 21:18:41 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
There's a recent apps screen?
I don't see a "recent apps" selection on Android using the Nova Launcher.
I don't even see a way to sort the app drawer apps by date installed.
My previous launcher did sort them that way, so I know it can be done.
What launcher are you using that has recent apps?
That would be a useful addition for organization.
I'm using Cyanogen 11 simulating Kit Kat 4.4 for my Motorola Photon Q.
Try long-press on the 'Home' key. (I didn't know, I had to look it up.
I was wondering too.)
--
Cheers, Bev
Horn broken. Watch for finger.
JF Mezei
2014-11-26 07:49:55 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
How do you organize your phone's top level?
I put the apps I used most often on the first page. This way, when I
need to switch to those apps, a single click of home button from
anywhere gets me to that page and can choose the app with on click.

I now rarely use the task switcher which I used more often before IOS 7.

When I go on a trip, I will sometimes re-arrange the apps by putting one
or two more relevant apps in the front. For instance, on a trip to the
USA where I will use Amtrak, I will put the Amtrak app on front page
(otherwise it is lost ina folder in teh last page). Same for Air Canada
app etc.
Savageduck
2014-11-26 08:33:25 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
How do you organize your phone's top level?
I'm relatively new to organizing a smart phone, although I, like almost
everyone else, have years of experience organizing desktop computers.
While no one organization is perfect, and what floats my boat may not
float yours, so that I can get better ideas from you, here's what
http://i59.tinypic.com/20f7rqb.png
What do you think of "my" top-level organization?
What do you do better/different?
PS: If you need more detail, just ask and I will clarify.
It is simpler to show a few of my pages than to explain the logic
behind my particular arrangement. It works for me, and I can navigate
without becoming over anal.
<https://db.tt/hzkNHWRV>
<https://db.tt/0oQBdQnR>
<https://db.tt/gwRhfUWa>
<https://db.tt/pFmnoH51>
<https://db.tt/yFKkFNeD>
--
Regards,

Savageduck
Dennis O'Neill
2014-11-26 14:31:13 UTC
It is simpler to show a few of my pages than to explain the logic behind
my particular arrangement. It works for me, and I can navigate without
becoming over anal.
<https://db.tt/hzkNHWRV>
<https://db.tt/0oQBdQnR>
<https://db.tt/gwRhfUWa>
<https://db.tt/pFmnoH51>
<https://db.tt/yFKkFNeD>
Nice. Those 8 screens are very useful information for learning how
others organize their apps.

I like that your dock has only the four most-used items (the phone,
email, browser, and music player).

The first screen has timing information on top, then recording apps
on the second row, location-based information in the third row, mostly
VOIP based apps in the fourth row, and common maintenance tasks in
the fifth row.

This second screen keeps the dock intact (as it should) for the four
most commonly used apps.

The first row has mostly book-related apps. The second row mostly
cloud-related apps. The third row mostly search related apps.
The fourth row a mix of cloud and email apps. The fifth row a
bunch of seemingly useful keyboard and burner apps.

This third screen has a few GPS related apps in the 1st row.
It has cloud and print and sky and podcast apps in the 2nd row.

But now there is a sea change!

There are folders in the 3rd and 4th rows, for travel, navigation,
maps, news, communications, weather & photography.

And, then back to icons, mostly office-like apps, for the 5th row.

This fourth desktop screen is the first that isn't chock full.
It seems to contain folders for mostly documents and specialized apps
such as field guides, magazines, medical, education, finance,
and entertainment apps, before moving on to the more commonly
found games and utilities.

This was the most interesting desktop, to me, because it showed how
you think about organizing databases into related folders, which is
always a difficult task on any device.

This last desktop screen seemed to be a rather comprehensive collection
of video based apps, from videon to wimp and youtube and yidio (and more).

So, this last screen seems to be your video feeds, all collected in a
single page.

Overall, I like that you've organized things into both folders and
icons as you see fit (as someone had suggested, I think it was Rod
Speed).

I also like that you keep the dock simple by containing just the
most-used apps.

You seem to listen to music and video far more than I do, so, that's
why you have them more in your face than I do, but, even so, you seem
to have a very diverse variety of video related apps and feeds, which,
by necessity, requires a more extensive organizational system than
I require.

In fact, I tried to think of how I'd organize YOUR apps, and I'd have
trouble, mainly because the breadth of what you do on your device seems
far wider than mine.

What I've learned, from looking at your organizational system (thank
you very much for showing it to me) is that some people (ie you) have
a MUCH wider breadth of apps than I do - which means my simple one-page
system can't work for you.

Of course, I'd hide most of those apps if I didn't use them every day,
but that doesn't solve the problem of organizing them. It just sweeps
them under the rug temporarily (which is harder to do on iOS than on
Android, I understand).

Thank you very much for dropping your drawers, as it was, so that we
can learn from /your/ organizational system! Much appreciated!
badgolferman
2014-11-26 15:43:27 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
How do you organize your phone's top level?
I'm relatively new to organizing a smart phone, although I, like
almost everyone else, have years of experience organizing desktop
computers.
While no one organization is perfect, and what floats my boat may not
float yours, so that I can get better ideas from you, here's what
http://i59.tinypic.com/20f7rqb.png
What do you think of "my" top-level organization?
What do you do better/different?
PS: If you need more detail, just ask and I will clarify.
The picture you sent isn't an iPhone so there really isn't a direct
correlation. We can't place icons where we want them with empty space
around.

Here's my first page of the desktop:

The most used icons are at the bottom where they are easily reached by
the thumb. The less used ones move up the page. I have groups in the
middle with other apps I usually use. There are more apps on the next
two pages that I don't use very often.
Dennis O'Neill
2014-11-26 18:37:33 UTC
Post by badgolferman
The picture you sent isn't an iPhone so there really isn't a direct
correlation. We can't place icons where we want them with empty space
around.
On some Android launchers, it's like the iPhone where you can't have
empty space (nor even half spaces like on the gridless launchers).

That restricts your geometric spacing of the icons, but the rest of
the organizational issues should be similar on both iOS & Android.
Post by badgolferman
http://i62.tinypic.com/21c75m0.jpg
Your desktop is similar to one that Savage Duck posted:
https://db.tt/hzkNHWRV
https://db.tt/0oQBdQnR
https://db.tt/gwRhfUWa
https://db.tt/pFmnoH51
https://db.tt/yFKkFNeD

In fact, if you compare your first page with Savage Duck's first
page, it seems you both think alike more than not alike:

Your 1st page: http://i62.tinypic.com/21c75m0.jpg
Savage Duck's 1st page: https://db.tt/hzkNHWRV

As I switch, back and forth between them to learn how you do things,
it seems both of you put "Phone" and "Mail" in the doc, with Savage
Duck having more media driven icons filling the dock and your dock
being more about people and time management.

But, you'll notice that the "Calendar" is Savage Duck's first app
on the rest of the screen, so you both give it a high importance.

Likewise, both of you display the clock prominently, as you both
do with Settings, The App Store, etc.

One glaring difference is that Savage Duck puts the map apps in
the first page, while, for you, they don't even show up yet. What
this probably means is that you don't use map apps as much as
Savage Duck does, which is fine, and which will always affect
how you order things.

But, overall, the both of you are more similar than different,
and for that, I can draw some conclusions about organizational
schemes.
That's probably where your map apps are! :)
badgolferman
2014-11-26 18:58:59 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
One glaring difference is that Savage Duck puts the map apps in
the first page, while, for you, they don't even show up yet. What
this probably means is that you don't use map apps as much as
Savage Duck does, which is fine, and which will always affect
how you order things.
My map icon is Waze. That is by far the most used travel app, followed
by Gas Buddy which is under Travel folder.
Dennis O'Neill
2014-11-26 22:53:43 UTC
Post by badgolferman
My map icon is Waze. That is by far the most used travel app, followed
by Gas Buddy which is under Travel folder.
I tried Waze, but my goal is that maps always be useful
offline, and only Google Maps gets to break that requirement
(simply because it's so good otherwise).

Also, I don't like to have to "log in" so I avoid apps that
have a login as a requirement.

Only if the app is /really/ useful will I create a login to that
site but usually, as in the case of Gas Buddy and Google Maps,
you can skip the login step.

So the main apps I use while traveling are:
1 Google Maps (mostly for traffic)
2 Navigator (for everything else)
3 Osmand~ (as a backup)
4 iExit (exit services)
5 GasBuddy (gas exit services)
6 RoadNinja (exit services)
7 Interstate Exits Guide (exit services)
nospam
2014-11-26 23:51:38 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by badgolferman
My map icon is Waze. That is by far the most used travel app, followed
by Gas Buddy which is under Travel folder.
I tried Waze, but my goal is that maps always be useful
offline, and only Google Maps gets to break that requirement
(simply because it's so good otherwise).
Also, I don't like to have to "log in" so I avoid apps that
have a login as a requirement.
there is no need to log in for waze. you can if you want for additional
functionality but it's not required.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Only if the app is /really/ useful will I create a login to that
site but usually, as in the case of Gas Buddy and Google Maps,
you can skip the login step.
waze is both useful and does not require a log in.

however, it does require a data connection for it to be useful since
it's crowd-sourced data.
Dennis O'Neill
2014-11-28 08:37:00 UTC
Top level? You mean the home screen?
I mean the entire phone desktop, whether that's a single screen or
a series of screens.
Everyone has a different method.
I ask because we all do the same things with our phones, and, we
all (pretty much) have the same set of applications (give or take).

So, we can all learn from each other.
Every thing is on a single screen.
That's what I do, but most people don't.
It's harder (but I think better in some ways) to have a single screen.
But, a single screen must be thought out well, in order to work well.
I put a row of apps at the top and bottom, two apps in my dock,
and the rest is folders, including two folders in the dock.
That's interesting. You mix folders and app icons in *both* the
dock and in the screen itself. That does have both advantages.
Temporary (new) files end up on page 2.
They either get deleted or end up in a folder on
the first page.
That's a nice use model that doesn't mix the new with the old
until you want to. Of course, that's a preference setting (at least
in my launcher) of where new app icons go (which some people don't
have on their os).
Lewis
2014-11-28 08:49:45 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Top level? You mean the home screen?
I mean the entire phone desktop, whether that's a single screen or
a series of screens.
Everyone has a different method.
I ask because we all do the same things with our phones,
I seriously doubt it.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
and, we all (pretty much) have the same set of applications (give or
take).
No, That is not at all correct. Just in this houses 5 iPhones the apps
installed on each and the arrangement of such is entirely unique.
Can't stop the signal
Dennis O'Neill
2014-11-28 09:29:55 UTC
Post by Lewis
No, That is not at all correct. Just in this houses 5 iPhones the apps
installed on each and the arrangement of such is entirely unique.
You don't use your smart phone as a phone?
You don't use your smart phone to send an SMS message?
You don't use your smart phone to browse the web?
You don't use your smart phone to receive your email?
You don't use your smart phone for tasks or calendaring?
You don't use your smart phone for GPS navigation?
You don't use your smart phone to snap a photo or video?
You don't use your smart phone to watch a video?
You don't use your smart phone connect to a Wi-Fi network?
You don't use your smart phone as a flashlight?
You don't use your smart phone's calculator when needed?
You don't use your smart phone's barcode scanner when needed?
etc.

If the answer to *all* these questions are "yes", then you are
correct that you truly are unique.
Michelle Steiner
Those comprise a small subset of what people do with their smart phones.
Dennis O'Neill
2014-11-28 14:59:47 UTC
not everyone does all of them, plus some of those do
not require apps at all, such as using wifi or a flashlight.
I think "many" people use the phone, as a phone.
I think "many" people use the phone for SMS messages.
I think "many" of us use the phone to browse the web.
I think "many" of us use the phone to snap a photo.
I think "many" of us read our emails on the phone when we're on the go.
etc.

I think that what you're saying is unrealistic.
I think you think you are more unique than you are.

I don't think I'm unique at all.

Because we're far more alike in what we do with our phones
than we are unique, we can learn from each other.

You're saying that's not true. But I disagree.
nospam
2014-11-28 15:09:13 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
not everyone does all of them, plus some of those do
not require apps at all, such as using wifi or a flashlight.
I think "many" people use the phone, as a phone.
not as many as you might think. millennials mostly text.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
I think "many" people use the phone for SMS messages.
many do, but not everyone.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
I think "many" of us use the phone to browse the web.
I think "many" of us use the phone to snap a photo.
I think "many" of us read our emails on the phone when we're on the go.
some do, but not everyone and not all the time.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
I think that what you're saying is unrealistic.
it's very realistic.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
I think you think you are more unique than you are.
that makes no sense.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
I don't think I'm unique at all.
you are, if for no other reason that you even care what other people do
with their phones.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Because we're far more alike in what we do with our phones
than we are unique, we can learn from each other.
nope.
ok
Dennis O'Neill
2014-11-28 15:23:09 UTC
Post by nospam
you are, if for no other reason that you even care
what other people do with their phones.
It's not so much that I care, but that I wish to learn
from others...
nospam
2014-11-28 15:27:24 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by nospam
you are, if for no other reason that you even care
what other people do with their phones.
It's not so much that I care, but that I wish to learn
from others...
learn what? everyone has different apps and different needs and
organizes them differently.
Poutnik
2014-11-28 15:54:49 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by nospam
you are, if for no other reason that you even care
what other people do with their phones.
It's not so much that I care, but that I wish to learn
from others...
learn what? everyone has different apps and different needs and
organizes them differently.
Many of these different needs and approaches share the common ideas.
Poutnik
Rod Speed
2014-11-29 00:36:19 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by nospam
you are, if for no other reason that you even care
what other people do with their phones.
It's not so much that I care, but that I wish to learn
from others...
learn what?
Interesting ideas that he has not come across before.
Post by nospam
everyone has different apps and different needs
There is a lot of commonality in what most do.
Most don't organise them at all.
Rod Speed
2014-11-29 00:34:40 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Dennis O'Neill
not everyone does all of them, plus some of those do
not require apps at all, such as using wifi or a flashlight.
I think "many" people use the phone, as a phone.
not as many as you might think. millennials mostly text.
Bullshit. I don't know any millennial that does that.
ok
Lewis
2014-11-29 05:54:24 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by Lewis
No, That is not at all correct. Just in this houses 5 iPhones the apps
installed on each and the arrangement of such is entirely unique.
You don't use your smart phone as a phone?
Nope.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
You don't use your smart phone to send an SMS message?
Almost never.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
You don't use your smart phone to browse the web?
Occasionally, but not much. I open links on it which I then read on my
computer or iPad.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
You don't use your smart phone to receive your email?
That's what the iPad is for.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
You don't use your smart phone for tasks or calendaring?
I use Siri for that and rarely interact with the apps.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
You don't use your smart phone for GPS navigation?
Probably not using the same app you do.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
You don't use your smart phone to snap a photo or video?
You don't use your smart phone to watch a video?
Nope. Too small.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
You don't use your smart phone connect to a Wi-Fi network?
What's that have to do with app use?
Post by Dennis O'Neill
You don't use your smart phone as a flashlight?
Don't need an app for that either.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
You don't use your smart phone's calculator when needed?
I sometimes use pCalc, but mostly on the iPad.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
If the answer to *all* these questions are "yes", then you are
correct that you truly are unique.
My most used applications are Overcast, Music, Find My Friends,
Tweetbot, Motion X, Swarm, Blizzard Armory, Amazon, Sonos, Starbucks,
Google Authenticator, Blizzard Authenticator, Passbook, Nest, and Wemo.
Not in that order. Oh, and Yahoo Weather and Dark Skies. Kevo needs to be
running, but I rarely launch it otherwise.
--
But of course there were the rules. Everyone knew there were rules. They
just had to hope like Hell that the gods knew the rules, too.
Frank Slootweg
2014-11-29 21:55:19 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by Lewis
No, That is not at all correct. Just in this houses 5 iPhones the apps
installed on each and the arrangement of such is entirely unique.
You don't use your smart phone as a phone?
[I know that the 'correct'/'logical' answer is 'Yes', but I'll answer
like a normal person would in a normal conversation.]

Nope.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
You don't use your smart phone to browse the web?
Hardly ever.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
You don't use your smart phone to receive your email?
Just occasionaly.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
You don't use your smart phone for GPS navigation?
I do use it for GPS navigation.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
You don't use your smart phone to watch a video?
Occasionaly, just short ones, i.e. not 'real' videos.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
You don't use your smart phone connect to a Wi-Fi network?
I do connect to a Wi-Fi network, mainly to keep the bloody apps
up-to-date :-) (c.q. :-)) and download/install apps to keep the bloody
thing working! :-) (c.q. :-)).
Post by Dennis O'Neill
You don't use your smart phone's calculator when needed?
When needed I would use it, but ....
Post by Dennis O'Neill
You don't use your smart phone's barcode scanner when needed?
Nope.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
etc.
It seems that I *do* mainly use it for "etc."! :-)
I guess my answers make me relatively unique. I can live with that.
The Real Bev
2014-11-29 22:52:29 UTC
Post by Frank Slootweg
Nope.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
If the answer to *all* these questions are "yes", then you are
correct that you truly are unique.
I guess my answers make me relatively unique. I can live with that.
I agree with the 'nopes'. Mostly what I do with it is housekeeping
rather than actual using. Updating apps, moving stuff around,
adding/deleting apps, etc.

I rarely need to use the phone, which works OK; the camera and GPS are
wholly inadequate and are for emergency use only, which is unfortunate
and the main reason I'm planning on buying a Samsung when this one dies.
--
Cheers, Bev
Giving advice likely to kill the stupid is called passive eugenics.
Poutnik
2014-11-30 05:45:08 UTC
Post by Frank Slootweg
Post by Dennis O'Neill
You don't use your smart phone as a phone?
[I know that the 'correct'/'logical' answer is 'Yes', but I'll answer
like a normal person would in a normal conversation.]
Nope.

What kind of normal person would it be ?
Poutnik
tlvp
2014-12-01 02:58:51 UTC
Post by Poutnik
What kind of normal person would it be ?
The kind who finds "yes, I don't" to be more confusing than "no, I don't",
even if the "yes" alone more directly confirms the position in question.

HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp
Poutnik
2014-12-01 10:26:04 UTC
Post by tlvp
Post by Poutnik
What kind of normal person would it be ?
The kind who finds "yes, I don't" to be more confusing than "no, I don't",
even if the "yes" alone more directly confirms the position in question.
HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp
I see short answers to negative questions
may be confusing in multiple languesges...

While you may be right from grammer point of view,
language is primarily about communication.

And it seems to me
you may failed to support this primary purpose.

tlvp
2014-12-02 02:07:02 UTC
Post by Poutnik
While you may be right from grammer point of view,
No. I was giving you the psycho-logical explanation, not the logical one.
It's not grammar, but psycho-linguistic logic, that counts here :-) . HTH.

Cheers, -- tlvp
Dennis O'Neill
2014-11-30 23:32:35 UTC
Post by Frank Slootweg
It seems that I *do* mainly use it for "etc."!
Well, I've learned a lot from this thread, and that's
a good thing.
Rod Speed
2014-11-29 00:30:37 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Top level? You mean the home screen?
I mean the entire phone desktop, whether
that's a single screen or a series of screens.
Everyone has a different method.
I ask because we all do the same things with our phones, and, we
all (pretty much) have the same set of applications (give or take).
Some have very few apps at all on their
phone and just use it for phone calls.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
So, we can all learn from each other.
Not necessarily.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Every thing is on a single screen.
That's what I do, but most people don't.
It's harder (but I think better in some ways) to have a single screen.
But, a single screen must be thought out well, in order to work well.
Not if you don’t do much with your phone.
have on their os).
Dennis O'Neill
2014-11-29 08:19:47 UTC
Some have very few apps at all on their phone and just use it for phone
calls.
Of the three people who posted screenshots of their phones,
all of them used it for far more than "just" phone calls.

I suspect anyone using their phone just for phone calls isn't
on this ng anyway.

If they are, please post their screens so we can learn from them.
Rod Speed
2014-11-29 09:24:21 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by Rod Speed
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Everyone has a different method.
I ask because we all do the same things with our phones, and, we
all (pretty much) have the same set of applications (give or take).
Some have very few apps at all on their
phone and just use it for phone calls.
Of the three people who posted screenshots of their phones,
all of them used it for far more than "just" phone calls.
Sure, but that is a microscopic subset of all phone users.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
I suspect anyone using their phone just
for phone calls isn't on this ng anyway.
Yes, but you didn’t restrict your original to just those reading here.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
If they are, please post their screens so we can learn from them.
Its unlikely that anyone can learn anything from
those who just use their phone for phone calls.
Dennis O'Neill
2014-11-29 14:19:55 UTC
Fair enough.
Poutnik
2014-11-29 15:17:04 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by Rod Speed
Its unlikely that anyone can learn anything from
those who just use their phone for phone calls.
Fair enough.
It is said
"a wise man is able to learn something from anybody".

E.g. not to buy a smart phone,
if to be used just for calling.

As old good Nokia S40 feature phones
can last up for 2-3 weeks on 1 charge.
Poutnik
Rod Speed
2014-11-29 18:03:17 UTC
Post by Poutnik
Post by Dennis O'Neill
Post by Rod Speed
Its unlikely that anyone can learn anything from
those who just use their phone for phone calls.
Fair enough.
It is said
"a wise man is able to learn something from anybody".
Only by fools.

Someone who just uses their phone to make
and receive phone calls has nothing to teach
anyone who uses their phone for a lot more
than just that, particularly with the organisation
of the phone screen being discussed.
Post by Poutnik
E.g. not to buy a smart phone,
if to be used just for calling.
That doesn't make sense either unless you
can't afford a decent smartphone because
a well designed smart phone makes it much
easier to make and receive phone calls just
because it allows you to trivially keep track
of who you have called and who has called
you so you can call them back if you need to
and do other stuff like swap business card
with their details and alternate numbers easily
and to very convenient to stop ringing in a
meeting just by putting the phone face down
on the table instead of farting around to get
that result.
Post by Poutnik
As old good Nokia S40 feature phones
can last up for 2-3 weeks on 1 charge.
You can get that result with a decent smartphone
with the best of the power packs too and make an
obscene gesture in the general direction of fools
like Ive who are obsessed with ultra thin phones.
TaliesinSoft
2014-12-01 02:52:06 UTC
The opening page of my iphone desktop is exactly the same as shown on
the iPhone web page.

The second page includes Voice Memos, FaceTime, Podcassts, Extras,
Tips, and iTunes U.

The third page includes GarageBand, iMovie, Keynote, Numbers, and Pages.

The fourth page includes Dark Sky, Nav Clock, and Compass.

The fifth page includes Dictionary, Encyclopedia, and Kindle.

The sixth page includes Checkers, Jumble, Ward Warp, Free Cell,
Pyramid, Solitaire, Spider, and Domino!.

The seventh page includes BCP, and NIV Bible.

As might have been noticed, the third through seventh pages include
items with a commonality.

This may not work for everybody but it works just fine for me!
James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas
Anssi Saari
2014-12-02 12:59:01 UTC
Post by Dennis O'Neill
What do you think of "my" top-level organization?
I dunno. Seems fine I suppose.
Post by Dennis O'Neill
What do you do better/different?
Well, I have five folders with app shortcuts (and the app drawer
shortcut) in the dock, grouped for different functions. Kinda like what
you have on the home screen I suppose. Right now the groups are Comm,
News, Fitness, Travel, SYS, WoL.

On the actual home screens I just have a few widgets, a large agenda
view of my calendars, controls for the music player, a weather widget
and a flashlight toggle widget.

I used to hide the dock but don't any more. I guess larger screens kinda
makes that pointless or maybe I'm too lazy to switch to a launcher that
has that feature... It seems that a lot of stuff has moved to the
notification shade. Get a text message? Read and mark read right there
if I don't need to respond. Same thing for short emails. The podcast
manager usually hangs right there too, ready to resume where I left off.